Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

For 3500 buck I'm looking for sport quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For 3500 buck I'm looking for sport quad

If it's not too late, I would definitely recommend a DS 650 for you. I own a Z400 and while it's a fun little light quad, the DS is 10 times the machine. It's more comfortable, way more powerful and torquey, way smoother suspension, and in the price range you're looking at you can't find a better all around machine. Especially at your size. I would go with an 04' or newer X package DS and never look back. Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast with whatever you buy.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

First off, the DS is a big machine for big guys. If you aren't a really big guy, then there are a dozen better choices you could make!

Don't ignore the 400 class. They both handle great. The EX is the world's best tight trail quad, and the Z is faster and great in open country.

Teh YFZ is a fun little machine too, but they are spring stiff, so the ride can be harsh. You might want to consider some aftermarket shocks.</end quote></div>

I would like to know the dozen better choices, Seriously! If you mention any of the 400's that's a joke. I own a nice Z400 and they don't even compare. I won't even mention how your favorite compares. They will smoke most of your choices, are more comfortable, and can shoot big whoops and ruts faster and smoother. I can't wait to hear your list of better choices. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I don't mean to start an argument but I can't stand hearing uninformed things about the DS.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

First off, the DS is a big machine for big guys. If you aren't a really big guy, then there are a dozen better choices you could make!

Don't ignore the 400 class. They both handle great. The EX is the world's best tight trail quad, and the Z is faster and great in open country.

Teh YFZ is a fun little machine too, but they are spring stiff, so the ride can be harsh. You might want to consider some aftermarket shocks.</end quote></div>

I would like to know the dozen better choices, Seriously! If you mention any of the 400's that's a joke. I own a nice Z400 and they don't even compare. I won't even mention how your favorite compares. They will smoke most of your choices, are more comfortable, and can shoot big whoops and ruts faster and smoother. I can't wait to hear your list of better choices. [img][/img] I don't mean to start an argument but I can't stand hearing uninformed things about the DS.</end quote></div>

Every other sport quad out there, except the Kawi 700 (which is a huge pig and more of a hybrid)!!!!

Again, the DS has a large frame, and that's necessary for big guys who can't fit on anything smaller, but for the average size rider (6' and 210 pounds is on the larger side of average....but not huge), that just means a lot of extra dead weight!

BTW, I have put in lots of miles on the DS. My buddy had one (and 01 just like yours), and he was around 6' and 200 pounds. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough once the YFZ came out.......

Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Nice Try! Try again! You're putting the Z, the EX, Craptor660, Preddy, and others before the DS. Shows me how little you know about sport quads. The Raptor 700 is an awesome machine, but in the range of $4000 and less, you will NOT beat a DS but you can live in that little make believe world if you want. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd say get the DS 650 or Raptor 660 if you find any in your range. The predator is not very good of a choice when compared to the DS and Rappy. But, if you can find an Outlaw 525 in that range ( huh, good luck with that ) then thats your number 1. The raptor does get tippy.. but you can learn the machine very quickly. Not to mention the only time its tippy is when you haul ***** around a corner ( aka mx it ). Trails and everything its very nice. The DS 650 makes up for its weight with its extreme power. I mean that thing is a *****ing beast. Put that power in a smaller quad and GG, well the Outlaw 525 is pretty much that. but yeah don't underestimate the rappy's cornering, try it out yourself and see how it feels. The 650 seems it would have problems on extremely tight trails.

I used to have an 01 Raptor 660 and I thought it hauled *****. It could barely beat the DS 650 in a straight line on flat and down hill terrain. But, once the road starts going up then the DS picks up and the power kicks in as it climbs alot harder and faster... but the Outlaw 525... GG it rapes in every area. But, thats out of your price range. Go DS 650 or Rappy. Test ride each and you'll quickly find witch one you profer. Oh, and the DS 650 rides extremely smooth.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Range Rover

Thats where I was kind of worried about the DS. We sometimes go and just randomly bomb through tight wood areas. That's where I'm worried the DSs 500lbs weight will show. But KFX is the 520 and he gets that thrown around pretty good but hte auto is easier to deal with in tight woods with random small stumps and stuff.

I dunno about the 525. No, won't find one in my range but my buddy, whos a polaris man was surprised to find the 525 doesn't make as much hp stock for stock as the 500. He checked. Minor mods on both and the 525 will show quicker, but it doesn't make anymore so don't see the point.

"2007 Polaris Outlaw 500.
I bought it new 12-26-2006 with Nerfbars and 3 year service contract. $7223.98
17 Hours and 187 Miles.
Hand guards, Trail Tech Vapor Computer, and Service Manual.
Custom made front and rear bumper. I have the OEM bumpers.

Selling price $4000.00"

That's hard to pass up. But also there's a super good deal on 08 800 efi sportsman... We'll see. OBVIOUSLY I understand thats completely different machine but I took it for a spin and holy...well yea. That was retarded. First time I ever thought "This is TOO much"

Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Nice Try! Try again! You're putting the Z, the EX, Craptor660, Preddy, and others before the DS. Shows me how little you know about sport quads. The Raptor 700 is an awesome machine, but in the range of $4000 and less, you will NOT beat a DS but you can live in that little make believe world if you want. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yeah but can you find a nice DS650 for $3500? The only ones I've seen that cheap are pretty beaten.....fact is I don't see very many for sale anymore at all.....

And I'm not sure why your z400 is such a piece of crap, but I've ridden both and IMO the z400 is a better all around machine.....

Yes the DS650 is faster, has lots of travel and is a soft ride mostly because of the extra un-sprung weight.... but I found it to not handle nearly as well as the z400. The DS is much bigger and bulkier, it is a lot more work to move around in the trails or on any MX track...

I'm sure on the dunes or open desert the DS is a different story. But in that the DS is more of an open terrain machine and probably shines there, whereas the z400 is a great trail and track machine and really shines there....

Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

Found 4 ds's not far under 4k. One was is a race modded (rather heavily) 01 x package for 3500, stock he'd sell it for 2500. Another was a 04 x package for 3000 same guy selling a 03 std package for 2800. Then a couple others I guess for around same price. But started to get farther away but its doable.

But I gess before anyone says anything about the 800. We are just gonna trade in my 4 wheeler to get rid of that debt by rolling it into a new loan her mom will take. The snowmobile I'm selling off to pay for that loan. Then getting a loan that's cheaper interested because it's on a newer quad (07). But, local dealer that knows me through my buddy is selling a 08 800 efi with 28 miles on it and big rims/tires for 6k after trade in. So If i got that I may say the hell with the outlaw and a new loan because holy man was that thing crazy. But that 800 weighing in at over 700 lbs.... Does make little over 50hp at the wheels. But getting 50hp at the wheels would not be hard on a outlaw that weighs "only" 425. Raptor weights 396.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheJcode

Thats where I was kind of worried about the DS. We sometimes go and just randomly bomb through tight wood areas. That's where I'm worried the DSs 500lbs weight will show. But KFX is the 520 and he gets that thrown around pretty good but hte auto is easier to deal with in tight woods with random small stumps and stuff.

I dunno about the 525. No, won't find one in my range but my buddy, whos a polaris man was surprised to find the 525 doesn't make as much hp stock for stock as the 500. He checked. Minor mods on both and the 525 will show quicker, but it doesn't make anymore so don't see the point.

"2007 Polaris Outlaw 500.

I bought it new 12-26-2006 with Nerfbars and 3 year service contract. $7223.98

17 Hours and 187 Miles.

Hand guards, Trail Tech Vapor Computer, and Service Manual.

Custom made front and rear bumper. I have the OEM bumpers.

Selling price $4000.00"

That's hard to pass up. But also there's a super good deal on 08 800 efi sportsman... We'll see. OBVIOUSLY I understand thats completely different machine but I took it for a spin and holy...well yea. That was retarded. First time I ever thought "This is TOO much"</end quote></div>

Not sure what your friend is talking about.. I also do not know numbers on the 500. But, stock 525's on dyno run 53-55 hp to the wheels from what everyone is posting. and about 58-60 after an exhaust. I HIGHLY doubt the 500 pushes the same seeing as 450's and raptors push 40-45 stock. Ride a 525... you'll see why its the quickest bike on the market.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Outlaw 525 was not detuned from the bike and is putting out 50 hp at the crank. Stock the few dynos out there are showing between 39 - 43 hp at the rear wheels on knobbies with just the airbox removed.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>On the dyno, the Predator made a peak of 44.5 horsepower and 32.1 foot-pounds of torque in the stock pipe configuration</end quote></div>

Brief internet search. He's worked at his dealer as a mechanic for about 6 years now. Think he knows what he's talking about lol

Now like I said, with mods the 525 response a lot quicker. With a pipe it'll go from 43 at the wheels to 48-50 (pipe) while a pipe on the 500 will bring it from 44 to same 48. Now keep going 525 starts getting more hp lot quicker. I like the 525, ktms are NICE. But just saying stock vs stock, predator/outlaw 500 has more hp. And for the price with the money saved can mod it right away!

He rides a 700 raptor so he's not a fanboy of polaris. He respects anything that deserves it. Almost any 450 can give any quad out there a run for its money. I'm just not that interested in it. I like to feel some weight under me since I'm not that small.

Quick Reply: For 3500 buck I'm looking for sport quad