Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

EFI vs Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI vs Carb

I know the question sounds ridiculous, due to all the companies using EFI in quads, why is EFI becomming a new trend..?? Say for instance, my friend David has a 660 Raptor and I have a 700.. If he was to bore his 660 to a 686, which quad would be fastest.. And if possible give some great detailing info...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default EFI vs Carb

As much as the 660 is a great machine for modding, and bore size to bore size the 660 can build greater power that of a 700, thoe the 700 is a much better allaround engine in a much better chassis. After owning my 700 with EFI I will never go back to a carb atlest for a every day quad. Simple bolt ons don't get any easy'r than the 700.Now with that said if all I was doing is drag racing/ duneing the carb is by far the way to go as they can be tuned for all the parambles for racing needs such as hig octane fuel and high compression!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI vs Carb

My Rancher 420 rips right off the bottom. Throtle response if instant, and that is because of the EFI.

Mine is now 2 years old, and no issues with it whatsoever.....

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Default EFI vs Carb

Every single one of my Many Many Raptor 700 friends say they will never go back to carbs! They say this for a few reasons, first the tuning is much easier and it self adjusts to altitude changes, it has awesome throttle response, and it's pretty much trouble free! The 700 is 10 times the machine of the 660 all around especially with those crappy dual carbs.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default EFI vs Carb

For pure power the carb will win over EFI. Not much, but it will win if tuned right.
EFI can't get the intercooling effect that a carb can; and that is worth some ponies.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default EFI vs Carb

I preciate all of yall who gave feedback...

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI vs Carb

I am still on the fence on this one, on one hand, fuel injection has been used in cars and trucks for decades, very few problems, but take a quad, especially a 4x4 you slam through dirt,rocks, mud, snow,etc for years, and I wonder how all those sensors and electrical connections are going to hold up. Some 3 wheelers from the 70's and 80's are still going on the original carb, some even without a rebuild, will injectors hold up that long, or in 10 years, are you going to see a flood of used quads with running problems sitting in the dealer lots? Not slamming inj. over carb, but just posing a question.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default EFI vs Carb

Here a 2008 450 Motocross shootout 450 shootout
The bike all use the same engine as there 450 ATV sports have. The only Motocross with EFI is the Suzuki RM and its last on power.

Odd thing is Kawasaki KX has the strongest 450 motor with a carb but there ATV 450 uses EFI but does not hold the strongest motor title in that sport.

Motocross is a much bigger and serious race event than ATVs yet the Manufacturers do not use the throttle body set up on them,just on there ATVs.

Another odd thing is Polaris only uses EFI on there Utility ATVs but on there hold nothing back sport ATVs(Preditors,Outlaws and Scamblers) they only use carbs.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I think people who Buy a EFI and think it will give them more power are in for a disappointment. Gas mileage and high altitude riding is there real advantage.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default EFI vs Carb

After owning my Raptor 700 with EFI there are a few other pluses to EFI such as throttle response is great, cold weather startability is awsume and just the fact that there is no need for rejeting for diffrent elevations is just superb.

I dont know what was shown on the 450 shootout vid but lets not forget that the new Honda 450 bike now has EFI as well as The New YFZ 450R. It will only be a matter of time before all bikes have EFI as it only makes sense with todays technology!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Range Rover
Default EFI vs Carb

Injection is the new way, I was opposed to it at first, but now the systems are lighter and don't even require a battery any more. The only down side to injectionis that all of the quads and bikes that have it have very mellow and fluffy power deliveries. Never found them to be that fun, but that is what the aftermarket is for, and soon we will be seeing rides with the beloved "lightswitch" powerband that made tuned banshees and 250Rs so fun.

TLC man, there is a rule I always follow never compare a dirt bike to a quad or ATC. take the 350x, legendary trike with a modded version of the XR350 which was a heavy slow and crappy bike. Like CR500 conversions, they are not very good, leave that motor in the bike and it will be more fun and break less. Same goes the other way too, I'm 90% sure my Zilla engine would not be that fun in a bike frame. It would feel more like an over weight pipie 450 four stroke, or a slightly quicker but heavier kx500.

Polaris doesn't use EFI on it's sport quads, because KTM won't give it to them, and if you are refering to the old 500 predator then I could only see it being botched because that whole quad was botched.

Quick Reply: EFI vs Carb