Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Wheelying Techniques

Old 09-09-1999, 11:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some tips on wheelying my quad. Things like what gear to be in, what kind of body english is needed, how much throttle etc. I know I should be able to wheelie my Warrior but I haven't had much luck. I have wheelied it but only in low gear with the help of small bumps. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
Duncan Currie

'94 Warrior w/K&N Filtercharger, Jet Kit, Supertrapp Racing Series

Old 09-10-1999, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

One of my riding partners has a warrior and that thing just would not wheelie very easily until he put high performance cam, stiff valve springs and high comp. piston and new rear tires.

Throw the stock junk rear tires away, they just won't hook-up. Invest in some Holeshots that will hook up and you will see a major difference.....

Old 09-10-1999, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have a '99 400EX so wheelies aren't a problem for me. In 1st and 2nd gears, I only need to use the trottle. Just give it a hit and the front end pops right up. Since this doesn't work for you, try sitting way back on the seat with most of your weight on the foot pegs. With you legs, you can try pushing down on the pegs. Then, yank up on the bars and apply plenty of throttle. Hope this helps.

Mike Frey
1999 Honda 400EX with Renthals and DG Alloy Nerfs

[This message has been edited by Mike Frey (edited 09-10-1999).]

Old 09-10-1999, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

tires is the key to everything and maybe get a pipes kit by fmf or someone like that...hope it helps and also dont flip back TOO many times ...

Old 09-10-1999, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duncan, I don't know what gearing you have in your ride, but if it's geared up or even stock, you'll have a difficult time getting the front end off the ground. I believe you said once you were at 155lbs.Couple that with the long wheelbase & weight of the bike (425+), and about the only way to lift that mass is by running up the rpms & dumping the clutch in 1st or 2nd, maybe 3rd. Of course the after market suppliers of clutch components will love you . In my case my gearing is too tall to pull wheelies anyway, but no problem, I outgrew that about the same time as zits went away.
Forgive me for what I'm about to say, but, a better investment of your riding techniques would be to perfect your skills in turns,whoops, & jumps, things you'll encounter in any hard riding you might do, & like the man said, lose those oem Dunlops.

THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 09-10-1999).]

Old 09-10-1999, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

Thanks guys you have been a big help. Like you said Cal, I agree it is more important to perfect my skills on jumps, whoops, and turns etc. I don't care that much about wheelying anyway. Just wondered if it could be done. My quad has stock gearing and Bearclaw tires (awesome traction), so I don't think that is the problem. It must be the long wheelbase and the weight. Again, thanks for your help.

------------------
Duncan Currie

'94 Warrior w/K&N Filtercharger, Jet Kit, Supertrapp Racing Series

Old 09-11-1999, 04:13 AM
Range Rover

Hot, where did you get the number of "425+" for the weight of a warrior? Just curious.

Later,

Jason

Old 09-11-1999, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rottwolf, Actually the owner's manual list it at 421. Since most brands tend to be somewhat heavier than claimed I just rounded it up to 425.
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

Old 09-12-1999, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

A warrior is not ard to wheelie. You can start from a stand still and pop that thing on it's grab bar. You may not know him but AJ (my 300EX weelie riding friend) stood my warrior up going DOWN a hill near my house. Also my warrior is completely stock except for handle handle grips and skid plates.

PS: Weight is no problem. I have full body skid plates and that makes it weigh more.

------------------

Old 09-13-1999, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

If you ride alot and don't have money to buy tires every three months dont buy holeshots. They are great tires but they wear out real fast and they are kind of expensive. If you don't mind the wear factor get the holeshots but if you want tires that are going to last for a while don't get them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheelying Techniques