Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

High performance shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would just like to hear what all you people have to say about the 400ex, scrambler 400 2x4(Sport),Banshee,250R,and the Suziki LT500. Which one do you think is the best?

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 10-13-1999, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen I'd skip the LT500. Everytime I ride somewhere the guys who own them work on them as much as they ride them. Plus it seems in the sand Banshees still beat them anyway. A 250R while a great quad is 10 yrs old, plus they are like '69 Camaros. Really nice & fast but not really all the "cool" compared to say a Tecate (ala 'Cuda) My friend has 2 Banshees & they are fun to ride with that wild powerband but even with pipes & carbs etc he has they still have so many drawbacks for me. First 2 of everything, they seem damn finicky,plus where I ride it's trails & with the Banshees way out there powerband it's a pain in the a$$ to me sometimes. At the dragstrip at the local riding area all the Banshees usually seem to take the "easy" way there instead of through the woods. That being said I'd choose between the 400EX & The Scrambler 2X4. I have a Scrambler 4X4 & my brother has a 400EX (did have a Sport once). I really like my Scrambler, but there are days that I ride his 400EX and I'm like "Damn these are awesome!" If I didn't have to have a manual clutch & I knew all the benefits Polaris tranny offers over a 5 speed plus wanted a motor that hauls I'd get the Scrambler. If I wanted a lightweight flyer that was easy to wheelie & easy to ride fast & didn't mind a "cramped" riding position, but didn't have to outdrag Banshees I'd get the 400EX.
Those are probably the only 2 quads in that list I'd really consider for where I live & ride.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-15-1999, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

All have their advantages. For my riding areas/style, mine is a 400EX.

For more sand riding, the LT500 is awesome but it has some reliability questions. I would go with a Banshee instead. The Sport is great in the sand (especially with some mods to get it close to 60hp!).

The TRX250R is an awesome machine. For racing, it is the machine/design to own.

If I didn't have a 400EX, it would either be a new Banshee, or a modified TRX 250R.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 10-15-1999, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Andrew,
Well said! No way does a 69 Genaro (err Camaro) compare to a Cuda! I may be biased as I am building a 69 Barracuda w/ a 500 cubic inch stroker motor, but like you, I like to be a bit different. I like the 250 R, but a tecate gets my blood flowing. I have ridden a few 400 and 500 4x4 Scramblers and really do like them. I can imagine they are great trail machines.
Have a good one,

RoostKing...

Old 10-15-1999, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Roostking,
I've been to Mopar Nationals a couple of times back in the early '90s. There is just something about standing next to that Petty Blue 1970 Spuerbird!
Plum Crazy purple, Lime Green, Lemon yellow etc. A Camaro is nice but those old Chryslers have an shall I say Aura about them. Don't get me wrong any car can be fast. I mean even AMC had some bad *** cars. But do any of them look as good as a say '68 Hemi Charger??? Stand behind that car and look at the lines. The way those big fenders stuck out past the window pillars. With that Big chrome gas cap. That was a design Chevy could only dream about.
My friend has a '65 Cuda with a blown (6-71 or 8-71 blower I can't remember) 440V-8. He has it tubbed and everything. Even had a pullout poster in a Mopar magazine a few years back. I loved riding in that thing. I haven't seen the guy in over a year though
c-ya,
Andrew
ps> A lime green Tecate ????
What is it those Kawasaki guys say? "If it ain't green, it ain't mean."
kinda like Mopar
Most
Over
Powered
And
Respected
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-16-1999, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Polaris and after many years of riding it, and then getting a manual clutch/shift quad (400EX), I would have to say that the manual clutch is a lot better than the automatic. It gives you more control when in the woods. Plus, the auto gets real boring after a while.

Old 10-16-1999, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Its saturday, I'm bored, so here are my thoughts...

Nothing can touch a BUILT LT500...that is, as long as it does'nt grenade.

Although it's been nearly 14years since the inception of the 250R, they still flourish at every national event. Hmm...are they that great? Or just that respected?

While aging itself, the Banshee is still "King of the Dunes" and with nearly as much HP potential as the LT500, but yet more reliability, the "King of Speed" in my book.

The new kid on the block, the 400EX, still has yet to prove itself. While a step forward in innovation, albeit ever so small, I'll go so far as to say its the probably the best "all around ATV" out at the moment.

While not quite a high performance machine, out of the box that is, the hop-up potential for the Sport 400 (I know it's called a Scrambler 4X2 now, but how can Polaris change the color of the plastic, add a new shock and rename it?) is increadible. With 36 stock HP, you can reliably double that number. Yes, I said reliably! Yet, 72HP really isn't quite the same in a frame made out of lead with suspension like a Manco go-cart! I know, my Sport's pushing 65HP and a blast to ride. I love the looks I get from people after racing, and leaving more than a few in the dust. But, I have to wonder (and dream) how much better it could be in an aftermarket, dual A-arm chassis.

But, if I were to go back in time 1 year, shopping for ATV's, and knew at that time I'd end up dropping nearly 4K into the quad after the purchase I'd be riding a a a a a a .................................................. ........................... Banshee. Am I dissappointed in my choice? NO! I still love my Sport. I love being the underdog and I love the attention I get on it!

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 10-18-1999, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Mopar or no car!!! or is it My Old Pig Aint Runnin'. Personally I'm a Ford guy But good ol' Mopar is close on my list.

------------------
Garrett Lowman; CT240 Blaster, YZ490

Old 10-18-1999, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

My buddy has a modified lt500r quadzilla and so far he has had no problems with the exeption of a new clutch. He race it at the sand drags and was blowing away modified banshees. I am not saying to get the zilla but it is the real king of speed. I personally like and own the 400ex. I think it
is the best all around sport bike.
Mike