Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

More speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1999, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am relatively new to atv's and just recently bought myself a warrior hoping that it would be the one for me. I live in the mountains and have some pretty cool trails and logging roads nearby that I have practiced on. They run from 1/4 mile straightaways to tight turning trails throught the trees. But, I've been bitten by the speedbug. My friends have an assortment of atvs from big 4x4's to little screamers. I raced a buddy of mine who has an 87' 250r and he almost kept up with me on my new warrior and his engine was on it's last legs as it blew a bearing later on that day. I want to buy another one and let my wife ( or a visiting friend) use the warrior. I've never ridden a two-stroke before but from what I've heard and read when you want power they are the way to go. I like the control of manual clutches and want a relatively light atv that I can throw around but I'm not sure whether to get a much lauded Banshee or go with a 400ex. Any suggestions or atv's I've overlooked that might suit me?

Old 11-05-1999, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

Well I have never rode a Banshee, but I own a '00 400EX and am very pleased with the power and speed. For the conditions you listed (Short sraightaways & tight trails)the 400EX is the way to go. Like i said i have never rode a Banshee, but have done a lot of reasearch on the both of them before i bought the 400. Even on long straightaways the 400EX utilizes every bit of the power it generates. Your decision needs to be based on what conditions your quad will be encountering. Good Luck with your choice!

Jera '00 400EX

Old 11-05-1999, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the 400 would best suit your style and conditions.. But you mentioned that you are considering or thought about a two stroke. The you went on two say that you were unsure of what one to get between the Banshee (2-stroke) and the 400ex (4-stroke). If you want a 2-stroke, you should be comparing the banshee and the 250r. If you want a 4-stroke, then compare the 400ex to... the warrior i guess. Which you have that already.. Good Luck... Enjoy what you have. I do !!!

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 11-05-1999, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot for the reply.....very sound advice. Maybe the dealer will let me take both the Banshee and the 400ex for a test drive and see for myself.

Adrian

Old 11-05-1999, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

If you like riding tight trails i would definately go with the 400 ex. I have spent some time on Banshees and a little on the 400 ex. The Banshee would never keep up with the 400 in the trail, but in the wide open all you will see is the tail lights of the banshee. I guess it all comes down to the type of riding you do most, as well as the type of engine you like ! Happy Trails

Old 11-05-1999, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hands down the 400EX will suit your needs better then the Banshee. The power is smoother and easier to control. My brother rides a '00 Banshee and my friend has a '00 400EX. We ride alot of woods trails and logging roads much like you described. If you want a seat of the pants ride go with a 2-stroke but if you want a good all around machine try the 400EX. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-1999, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did it, I went and bought a Banshee hoping I can do a few mods to make it a little more tame in the woods. I have a good all- around atv in the warrior and wanted zippyness that a two stroke gives so I bought the best one out there. I have nothing but respect for the 400ex. All I've heard about them was good things and would rather have that instead of my warrior in retrospect. Thanks for the advice. I love my banshee and might consider trading the warrior in for the more powerful and updated honda version.
Thanks,

Adrian

00" Warrior
00" Banshee

Old 11-06-1999, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats on your new Banshee! I've had mine for almost 2 weeks now and am having a blast with it...hope it's got all the 'zip' you're after. What color did you get? I got the blue...I was tired of red. By your name, I'm assuming Teamblue as well!

------------
'87 CR500
'00 Banshee

[This message has been edited by Dune-it (edited 11-05-1999).]

Old 11-06-1999, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes...from the little I was on the Banshee last night I found out that you can't get all the way on it in first like I can with my warrior. You'll end up on your back with 500 lbs of quad on you. Today's gonna be fun!
I hope you enjoy your Banshee as much as I'm going to enjoy mine.

00" Banshee
00" Warrior

Old 11-06-1999, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oops, yes...both machines are blue. I didn't like the yellow/black that the Warrior came in or the red that the Banshee has. I like Yamaha blue.
Hey by the way, where are you from Dune it?
I would assume somewhere in the southwest by your name right?

Adrian

Quick Reply: More speed?