Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

400EX in the sand... bad idea.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a really beating a dead horse, but there still seems to be a fair amount of people thinking that the 400EX is fast and powerful enough to hang with a Banshee. Sorry guys, I spent last weekend at Glamis, and went with a friend with a stock 400EX and let me tell you, there ain't no way in heck they can hang with Banshees unless the owners want to spend serious cash. It's plain a simple, they just don't have enough hp to shred the way some people say they do. I held a pretty high regard for the 400EX until now, mainly because I rode the same 400 for a short time when it was new, and was impressed. Taking to the dunes, I was less than impressed. There were plenty of hills the 400EX simply couldn't climb (and yes, it had paddles). It is a nice playquad though.

I hope the DS650 isn't as gutless as the 400EX, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 11-16-1999, 01:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. A 400EX can't even hang with my 250R in the sand, And I'm still on the stock cylinder. Oh well, maybe someday they'll make something comparable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 11-16-1999, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

Two strokes are better in the sand, because they have a lot of wheelspin, so instead of trying to hook like a 4-stroke, a 2-stroke can stay on top of the sand and go forward. 4-strokes work goog in dirt though, because they hook up, but I do like my 2-stroke because it is fun everywhere.

Old 11-17-1999, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 99' 400ex and my buddy has a 97' banshee. We have raced several times at the foothills here close to the Idaho Oregon border. He beats me probably 98% of the time but by no more than a bike length. This sand hill we race up is about 600feet tall. But if I get the good lane and do everything right I can beat him but only by about 1/2 a bike length. Even he and another buddy who rides a 500r quadzilla say that FOR A 4 STROKE it does awsome. Now the race against the 500r welllllllllll, ok he is at the top having an after dinner cigarette while I am still coming up the hill. Not triing to argue just thought I would tell my banshee vs 400ex story.
Thanks Mike

Old 11-17-1999, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Give it time......It's still a pup!!
You've had ten years to play around.

Old 11-19-1999, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There was a moded 400 ex at the dunes on Colorado, it was beating more than a few Banshees.. The one downside was the exhaust volume. I am a hot rodder through and through, but the exhaust on the machine was just too much..

RoostKing...

Old 11-21-1999, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, 2-strokes work good in the sand, and no a stock 400 is not faster (esp in sand) than a stock Banshee, but dragracing up hills isn't everything, and there will always be someone faster no matter what you ride.

I had plenty of fun with my 400 last time I went to the dunes. The ol' stock 400 turned more than a few heads that weekend....

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 11-22-1999, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah 86atc250r I seen your pics. at the dunes. They were pretty impressive. Do you need to check with air traffic control before you do that? lol.
Mike

Old 11-23-1999, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what the deal is with these Banshee people, it's like they have something to prove. Rant and rant about how much faster the Banshee is in the sand, well you know what, I could rant all day long how at the track the 400 DOMINATES over the Banshee, but that would be pointless.

Typical day at the track (locally, where the bikes are not completely aftermarket):

400's up front
250R's close behind
a mix of Banshee's & other bikes (warriors, blasters, 300EX's)

Let's face it folks, the Banshee is faster in a straight line, as it well should be, it's a 2-stroke only 50cc's less in size than the 400, it has 4 175cc power strokes for every 1 in the 400, if it didn't outrun the EX in a straight line it would be a very sad statement for Yamaha indeed. If running to it's potential, in theory it should be able to outrun a 600EX fairly easily.

The worst part about the Banshee is the potential that was there for years that was never taken advantage of, a person would think that after 10+ years of getting spanked by old 250R's they could have changed the chassis enough to be competitive.

Maybe I should start a thread titled Banshee not in the sand.... bad idea.

That outta stir the natives

ps. Sandmanblue, if that 400 was a Y2K model and your buddy hasn't done the throttle trick, it was probably developing about 1/2 it's HP potential, a properly running 400 isn't THAT much slower that a Banshee as pointed out by stonecold and verified via dragracing by my crew.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

[This message has been edited by 86atc250r (edited 11-23-1999).]

Old 11-23-1999, 05:33 AM
Range Rover

Well, this what I think, some machines may be better suited to different areas, but after that Its ALL RIDER, as I have said before. As far as which machine is better, faster, whatever, it doesn't matter if the machine suit their style of riding, unless both riders are equal, then thats where each machines strong points will show.

Take Doug Gust for example, he was winning his his first pro race ever on a stock 250R (except for a pipe a rear tires) against Denton on his full race quad. He ended up third because he wasn't in shape and got tired. Also in one day he won the pro 250 class, borrowed a motorcycle and got 2nd in the A class, and borrwed a stock 300EX (excepth holeshots and essential safety gear) and got 2nd in the Pro 4-stroke class against 250R framed and race built 250X's. He was dead last in the first turn with the 300 each race, but passed everybody in the jumps with stock suspension.

Yes some machines may be better suited in certain areas, but the rider is what makes the difference. I raced a 250R this season (my first time on a two-stroke) and I've never been beat by a 400EX or Banshee outright. One time I finished 2nd to a Banshee when I busted my swing-arm. No, I'm not saying the R is a better machine for everybody, because if I was on a 400EX, I probably would have won just as many races. I could also win on a Banshee, but probably not as much.

For me the best all-around machine is the 250R, because it has the handling and 2-stroke power, and its fun to ride. The 400EX would be second because it has the handling, the power would have to be improved. The Banshee would be last because they don't handle. Yes they are faster, but everybody I know that switched to a less powered 250R, or yes a 400EX, did WAY better in races, this is where handling matters.

But then if there is a rider like Doug Eitchner riding a Banshee, it would be hard to beat in motocross, it depends on the riders style. 250R's and 400EX's are suit a wider range of riding styles and are much less physically and mentally demanding. Banshee's are very fast if the rider can be on the edge of out of control, which may suit them.

Quick Reply: 400EX in the sand... bad idea.