Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

06 ltr 450 fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ltr 450 fuel in oil

hey guys im new to the site i have an 06 ltr 450 with stock exaust with baffle out and air box cover off with cherry bomb and im getting fuel into my oil any idea what may be causeing this

Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Stuck float or over choking when starting or jetted too rich.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
Stuck float or over choking when starting or jetted too rich.

Isn't it fuel injected?????

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Red Rider

Assuming you don't have some other major problem.....

How often are you changing your oil???? All the 450 type engines have little slipper pistons with fewer rings, so they tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. This means that fuel dilutes the oil out fairly quickly! Plus, you are lubing an integrated transmission as well as the engine.

No matter what, you need to change your oil frequently!!! My rule is to go no more than around 5 hours between oil changes! Read about it:

http://www.belray.com/scripts/future...6-e27066d0d02a

Also, these engine scream, so itis worth spending the extra money for a high quality ester synthetic performance oil! My first choice is Redline, but I also like Maxima Extra/Ultra/530MX. More good reading:

ThumperFaq: 4-Stroke Oil

Oils Well That Ends Well, Part 1 - Sport Rider Magazine

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf

Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Red Rider

It is common for folks to hop up their engines and ignore crankcase ventilation! You build up a bunch of pressure in there, and where is it going to go???? A well ventilated crankcase will at least get rid of some of the fuel vapors.

Honda's HRC kit for instance, comes with a larger vent to prevent these problems....

Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Red Rider

I was camped next to a bunch of guys at Ocotillo Wells who were all riding LTR450's. This was when they first came out, and I talked to them at length becasue I was interested in finding out any info I could about the new machine.

They were just a few months old, and they had already needed rebuilds...and they didn't seem to think that was a big deal!!! Maybe this engine has a short lifespan, and your rings are completely toast already passing a huge amount of fuel into the crankcase????

Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes its fuel injected i changed the oil today looked ok little thin but still gold if i had bad rings tho i would imagine it would smoke like hell any other ideas just bought quad so maybe its somewhat normal on these quads

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know dude...

I'd join a site dedicated to LTR's if I were you and ask.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
Assuming you don't have some other major problem.....

How often are you changing your oil???? All the 450 type engines have little slipper pistons with fewer rings, so they tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. This means that fuel dilutes the oil out fairly quickly! Plus, you are lubing an integrated transmission as well as the engine.

No matter what, you need to change your oil frequently!!! My rule is to go no more than around 5 hours between oil changes! Read about it:

http://www.belray.com/scripts/future...6-e27066d0d02a

Also, these engine scream, so itis worth spending the extra money for a high quality ester synthetic performance oil! My first choice is Redline, but I also like Maxima Extra/Ultra/530MX. More good reading:

ThumperFaq: 4-Stroke Oil

Oils Well That Ends Well, Part 1 - Sport Rider Magazine

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf
Heck... I had to come back and ask...

Have you ever tried the 15w50 Mobil 1?

I really figured I was stuck on really frequent oil changes like that and figured I was going to be stuck on the Rotella.

But I tried it just to see if I could run it a little longer. So far I am real impressed with it, and think I might stick with it as long as I can get 5 qt jugs for $22.... as it's really not costing me anything to do it... as I think my interval is going to be double.

It still feels good in the trans and still looks good in the sight glass.
Despite how hard this machine has seemed to be on oil... just beats it up.

I think the piston design on my 450 is a bit different that yours.
It might not suffer quite as much blow by?

Anyways, the story will be told at draining I guess.
I'll be keen on dilution.

I'll drain it when it looks dirty or my trans goes from superb back to normal.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Red Rider

While the owner's manuals for old school air cooled engines with slack tolerances like the 400EX might recommend a 15W50 for very hot weather, most more modern water cooled engines will not. Engine tolerances have been getting tighter throughout the industry (especially Honda), so you will find that thinner oils are spec'd on later models. My Rancher 420, specs 0W30 as a possible year round oil....

Duster-15W50 is fine for hot weather, but go back to a ligher oil for cooler conditions! Most engine wear happens at a cold start, so running a thick gooey oil in cold weather means that it doesn't get pumping very fast, so you will get more wear waiting for it to get circulated.

06ltr450-Run the oil weight spec'd in your manual for the current outdoor temperatures. If your rings are getting worn, a short term fix is to run a synthetic oil. Synthetics have very much higher "film strengths" than you will get with a petroleum oil, so they will seal your rings better.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...ight-oils.html

Quick Reply: 06 ltr 450 fuel in oil