Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Suzuki z400 snow tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki z400 snow tire

Has anyone put the Maxxis 4-snow tire on a suzuki z400? If so, what tire and rim size? Did they fit on the stock machine or did you need to take the heal guards off?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kenda Rampage

I found the best snow tire for the 400. I got a new set of 21x7x10 Holeshot XCR's for the front for year round use. In the rear, I just bought a set of ITP steel wheels and 22x12x9 Kenda Rampages. The still have another inch of clearance to the heel guards. I had to install a 13T front sprocket for the larger tire size, but that was simple. Also install full skid plates, A arm plate, shock link plate and swingarm plate. The Rampages are beasts in the snow or mud. they dig in and give an unbelievable amount of traction. The only problem I have is the 12" of solid snow / ice pack with the recent thaw and freeze. The rear swingarm bottoms out and had to walk a trail with snowshoes to pack down the center of the track so the swingarm doesn't drag. After that, there's no getting it stuck! I don't think they make Rampages any longer, but Duro makes an Excavator tire now that is quite similar to the Rampages.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

Agressive tire are good in the snow until you get high-centered. Then you get stuck somewhere you shouldn't have reached and have a hell of a time going back home.

Winter tire such as Maxxis 4-Snow and Kenda SnowMad (or AMS Zipper or ProWedge) are not-so agressive, but very flexible. The contact patch is large, and they won't dig the snow, and prevent you from getting high-centered. Sometimes that's what will bring you further.

I juste replaced Bearclaw with 4-Snow on my 3wlr and this is the main difference. Where the Bearclaw would have digged in a second (hit the frame with 1/2 turn of spinning...) the 4-snow keep floating. They will scratch the surface just enough to keep going.

the SnowMad is new, but I'd give it a try anytime because it seem to have much more lateral grip. the 4-snow slide around very easily IMO

For both tire, I think that 8" width is perfect. Larger wheels will prevent them to stretch (they grow up to 25" or so at full speed) but skinnier wheels will make them more flexible. Diameter is also doing a difference, as 8" will make it more flexible than 9". If I had to choose a wheels for one of those tire, it would definately be 8x8