Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How to get into quad racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get into quad racing?

I love riding and jumping quads. I want to start racing though. Im 13 and i live in missouri. I currently have a stock 01' Honda 400ex. I need all quad racing tips,advice,stuff needed, and places to ride. If a 400ex is not good for racing, might be able to buy a new one before the 2012 race season. By the way, we already have a RV, big trailer, and two trucks so transportation wont be a problem

Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Come on guys i need some help

Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Are you looking for MX style or cross country? Please be sure you have a GOOD neck brace. We race in ATVCCS here in Texas. 400EX is a great bike to start racing on so you are good there.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to jump, mx is probably what you want to get into. I would call a few of the closer mx tracks to see what series they belong to. Check online and even the back of certain atv magazines have race dates and so on. You will need to have some minimum safety equipment, most races require a tether kill, boots/helmet/goggles/pants/long sleeve jersey, and nerf bars at a minimum. Many races have instituted a max sound level as well. I would also try a few different types of races. You have mx and cross country of course, also flattrack/tt and GP which tends to be a combo of the other 3 types I mentioned. Personally, I like XC and GP as you know when your race time is, and you get at least 1.5-2 hours of racing per event. MX you spend a lot of time waiting around to run a couple 10-20 minute motos.

Oh, probably wouldn't hurt to join the AMA or ATVA now. Quite a few events require membership these days.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im most likely going to race MX. I might trade my 400ex for this banshee.
01 Yamaha Banshee ******. It has toomey t6 pipes, boost bottle, 7 degree timing tool, port and polish, tusk heavy duty clutch, ITP back wheels and holeshot tires, and its bored .20 over. Is this good for MX. I might do a little XC too? Any tips on equipment? Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Nope, I wouldn't run a Banshee for mx or xc. Your best bet is to run a race or two with your 400 and go from there. Look around at what others are using at the races. outside of drag racing, you won't find many successful Banshee riders in organized racing. You need to find out what classes you are eligible for at 13, and what machines you can use before getting something else. Plus you need to have your parents full support for this venture. racing isn't cheap, you WILL break parts and have to replace things on a constant basis, not to mention transport, food, registration fees, etc. I easily spend $between $150.00 and 250.00 per race for my local xc series.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

My sister is a AMAZING basketball player and we travel the midwest for her tournaments. We spend from 500 to 1000 per tournament for her. We are used to the cost and she is a senior so we will have the extra money. Most classes now days are 450 so i dont know if a 400ex will be sufficent. If you have any suggestions to what i should get i would be thankful. Also do you have any tips for gear to buy? Thanks, Ty

Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Well, for starters, I would really run what you have, test the waters to see what you like to do. The 400 may be to big for the school boy classes as it is, you really need to research your local scene and find out what is happening. For instance, I race WNYOA. Your most appropriate class would be First Year, which is a 16+ age class because of the 400. In order to run a 13-15y/o class you need a 91-200cc 2 stroke or 91-300cc four stroke. I see 450's in the First Year C class, but your 400 would be fine, as true c class riders can't use all of a 450s power anyway. On the other hand, you might be more competitive to pick up a 250Raptor and run a younger class. See what I mean, you really need to research what is available in your area before buying/ trading for anything.

As for equipment, you need a good helmet and goggles(I prefer Scott with the roll off systems and maybe a few tear offs over top if allowed) You need good boots. You really should have a decent set of pants/jersey/gloves. Neck braces are quickly becoming a must have for racers. Most types of racing require a tether kill for atvs, you should have one regardless. I feel nerfbars are a must anytime you have the chance of bumping wheels with another competitor or are planning on having all 4 wheels in the air at once. MX racing these are a requirement. If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it needs to be either sub 94 or 96dB for most sanctioned events these days.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im planning to race at this track.HWY 65 MX I can run the 1st year riders, under 400cc, and if i get a smaller one, the raptor class.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

That looks good. I would just race that with your EX. Just make sure you have everything to meet class requirements, and ride within your abilities. Have fun with it!

Quick Reply: How to get into quad racing?