Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

What Quad Should I Get Next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Quad Should I Get Next?

I currently have a Yamaha blaster but I am think about buying a different atv pretty soon (I would be buying used and probably spending between 2 and 3 thousand dollars). I want something reliable, fast, and good for trails. I won't be racing. I am only 14 so I need something reliable because I don't have the money or experience to be fixing things. I don't find the blaster to be too slow but I would definitely like something faster. Oh, and the trails around here are pretty rough, generally only about one, sometimes two quad widths and have a lot of big roots and rocks. Also, there are a few little areas where there is some loose sand/dirt that I ride in. Some of the quads I am leaning towards would be the z400/kfx400, banshee 350, 400ex or maybe raptor 660. Something fun, reliable and can handle pretty technical trails but can really fly down a straight-away.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the Banshee. FAST, but not necessarily reliable, and a complete handful on anything tight or technical.

The 400 class is your best bet. Fits all your requirements and a decent upgrade over the blaster in chassis and suspension. Power too, although the blaster has a ton of potential in that department.

The 660 may be a viable option as well. Keep in mind they have a few quirks, and the double carb is a silly setup. Reliability is generally lower than the 400s imho.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

400ex will be the most reliable and probably the least expensive of all the quads you listed. You should be able to find one in good shape for around $2000 that will be ready to ride.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

The 400ex sounds good but I really like going fast and from what I've heard, its pretty slow.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A stock 400ex will top out at about 65 mph. The Raptor 660 is a bit faster and close to the same price. A Polaris Predator is also faster than a 400ex and is still in the price range you've given. The Predators I saw on my local craigslist were even less expensive than a 400ex, most under $2000.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Is the predator reliable and good in technical trails?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
A stock 400ex will top out at about 65 mph. The Raptor 660 is a bit faster and close to the same price. A Polaris Predator is also faster than a 400ex and is still in the price range you've given. The Predators I saw on my local craigslist were even less expensive than a 400ex, most under $2000.
I was just looking around on different forums and from what I heard is that the predator is heavy, more for mx than trail, the shifting is weird because you have to ease off the throttle before you shift, it has terrible traction and isn't very reliable.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

The predator 500 is a great quad for pretty much everything I think. Unless your trying to keep the noise level down that is! My predator is ridiculously loud when your behind it haha. Other than that it turns really sharp and has a ton of power if you ever need it. You'll find mixed reviews about the predator 500 but in my opinion its just becuase its not as well known as other quads so people just dont trust it or they have just never ridden one. but mine has ran and ran and ran and iv beat the crap out of that thing on the dunes for hours and it just keeps running strong. But if you decide to go with the predator I do reccomend getting a 2005 or newer. Iv herd the 2004's and under can have transmission problems. Im not completely sure about that but thats just what I read some guys saying on a forum. And my predator shifts flawlessly. To be honest its the cleanest shifting iv every experienced . I think whoever said they had to let off the throttle to shift has some kind of clutch or transmission problem and probably has the older model. Anyway good luck finding a quad! Sounds like all the quads you are looking at are great quads so you'll be happy with any of them. Stay away from the banshee though there awesome quads but there not very reliable

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

I also heard the predator feels like a utility quad

Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how or why it would have terrible traction.

Quick Reply: What Quad Should I Get Next?