Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Need Help learning to drive clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help learning to drive clutch

I'm 16 and have never driven an atv with a clutch. I would just like to know when to use and how to use it. I have driven utility atvs for my whole life and I would like a chance of getting into racing quads but I may need to know how to use a clutch. Please Help!

Last edited by yamadog700; 01-25-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Change of name
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry, you should pick it up quick. Plan on a few hours of gentle trail riding though at first. Give it a little throttle, slowly let the clutch out till you feel it start to grab. A little more throttle, gentle with that clutch and you are on your way. Keep your weight over the front end at first in case you dump the clutch with to much throttle. Foot on the rear brakes as well for the same reason. Get reliable starting other before hitting the trails. Don't forget to hold the clutch in it you are stopping or if you lock up the rear tires. I think the 300ex is about the perfect machine to learn on. Pretty mellow and very torquey. Makes it hard to stall.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Don't worry, you should pick it up quick. Plan on a few hours of gentle trail riding though at first. Give it a little throttle, slowly let the clutch out till you feel it start to grab. A little more throttle, gentle with that clutch and you are on your way. Keep your weight over the front end at first in case you dump the clutch with to much throttle. Foot on the rear brakes as well for the same reason. Get reliable starting other before hitting the trails. Don't forget to hold the clutch in it you are stopping or if you lock up the rear tires. I think the 300ex is about the perfect machine to learn on. Pretty mellow and very torquey. Makes it hard to stall.
Can u use the clutch as a sort of brake?

Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can downshift and use the transmission to slow you down. The clutch only connects the motor and transmission.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a manual, you have to substitute the foot brake for the brake lever that you would normally use on a semi-auto. If you grab the clutch without shifting, it basically won't do anything. In a higher gear especially if you just let off the throttle, you'll just coast and will take a long time to stop.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you've ever driven a standard car, its the same idea, but reverse.

You clutch with your hand and shift with your foot.

Taking off in first, you give just enough throttle to not stall out, and slowly release the clutch until it's fully engaged.

Eventually you will learn what is too much and too little throttle, depending what you are trying to do (launch, wheelie, normal take off, etc...)

Give gas in first until the revs climb, then clutch in, click into second, release the clutch and give it gas.

Shifting from first to second, second to third, etc.. is easier than just taking off in first.

The momentum of the bike will keep the motor turning, so you wont have to worry about stalling.

Down shifting is the same idea, but you have to make sure you aren't going too fast for the next gear down.

If you gear down while going too fast for the gear, you can lock up the rear tires, or over rev the motor.

Just start slowing down before you change down gears, or before you release the clutch in the next gear down.

Knowing what gear to be in when all depends on the situation you're in.

If you're trying to slowly climb or crawl over rough terrain, first or second would be enough depending how fast you're going.

If you're just bombing down open trails, you can shift up to higher gears for more speed.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Country Rider

Its not hard. When starting, don't just let go of the clutch, but don't go at like snail slow speed either. You need to just let out the clutch at a medium pace with a small amount go gas. If it is to slow the quad will stall. If its to fast, you will lunge forward and could pop a wheelie. It just takes practice. Good luck