Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

03 400ex wheels and spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 400ex wheels and spacers

Hello everyone, I'm about to order alba +2 a arms for my 400ex and the wheels on the front off set is 4+1 .. I can't afford a rear axle at the moment, but I can spacers.. so what size spacers do I need to compensate for the a arms and wheels.. I was thinking 1 and a half or 2 inch spacers.. any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either will be fine. It doesn't have to be squared up front and back. If you are looking to get that thing in the air a lot I might go smaller spacers just because they can put a lot of extra stresses on the axle.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Either will be fine. It doesn't have to be squared up front and back. If you are looking to get that thing in the air a lot I might go smaller spacers just because they can put a lot of extra stresses on the axle.

thanks a lot brother. If this was ur atv , what would u do? And if it isn't square won't that mess up handling? Thanks a lot for all the help.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

How aggressive do you ride? If it was my machine I would save up for this vs spacers
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...th-Racing-Axle

Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

How aggressive do you ride? If it was my machine I would save up for this vs spacers
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...th-Racing-Axle
pretty aggressive.. if I think I can jump it or hammer through it , hell I try it.. just bought armadillo full skid plates to keep it protected.. im gonna try to save up for that axle.. so am I better off not getting spacers at all? I ordered +2 alba a arms, Uni air filter, the skids, oil filter and spark plug, +2 braded brake lines, 4 new wheels and tires and new tie rods and tie rod ends... now I'm deciding on rear spacers.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I would probanly just get the axle then. Aggressive riding with spacers is a recipe for a bent axle. And that one I linked isn't to expensive vs spacers either.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

I would probanly just get the axle then. Aggressive riding with spacers is a recipe for a bent axle. And that one I linked isn't to expensive vs spacers either.
ok thanks a lot for the advice.. u help me a lot. Will I have to mess with the carb once I put the Uni air filter on?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

If it is just the uni air filter it is unlikely you will need to rejet. Adding an intake kit, exhaust, or opening up the air box/lid and you will need to add some fuel.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

If it is just the uni air filter it is unlikely you will need to rejet. Adding an intake kit, exhaust, or opening up the air box/lid and you will need to add some fuel.
ok cool... would it give me more power or torque if I did buy a jet kit and rejetted it? Thanks a lot for all the help.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I am a big fan of uni/foam filters for anything off-road that sees mud or dust. Most stock Japanese filters are pretty good already and you won't see much benefit with just the filter in most cases. I usually have a few filters around so at any given time I have a clean one to throw on and can worry about cleaning the dirty one later. Clean well oiled filters are the way to keeping that engine happy. If the machine is already well tuned and jetted switching from stock to no toil to uni has never really changed much power wise for me. These things run best if they are a little lean, but that doesn't give you the longevity most people want. Running a little rich won't give you more power but does give piece of mind. If you are riding hard you are less likely to seize or cause damage. If you have doubts, go up one size on the pilot and main, see how you like it that way. Now if you are running stock and go to aftermarket exhaust you should have to rejet. Or adding airflow via altering the air box in some way.