Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

2-stroke good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, since the fuel in a two-stroke is mixed with the oil you either have to rely on and trust the oil injector or you have to mix it yourself. Mixing it yourself is a good idea since the oil injector may break or malfunction and this will lock up your engine since no oil is still getting to it. to be safe mix it yourself, but some say that you can't get any more accurate in the mixing than the oil injector does itself. As a rule people who race will lean out the mixture so oil isn't as big a part in the whole mixture. Better way to say it: the gas to oil ratio is greater.

Also, I love 2-strokes. I prefer my Blaster over my brothers Warrior. They take more skill to ride since the powerband is smaller and this adds fun plus they are lighter. Nothing screams like a 2-stroke. Possibly the best two-stroke out, the Banshee will smoke a Raptor if you modify both all the way so yes they do react to mods better. Then again, nothing thumps and roars like a four-stroke.

Old 08-09-2001, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

"Two-stroke GOOOOOOD." - Frankenstien's Monster

Old 08-09-2001, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

grrrr FIRE BAAAAAD!! lol

Old 08-10-2001, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

I really like 2 strokes a lot better. They have a much harder-hitting powerband than any four stroke and almost twice as much power for the same amount of cc's. They are also alot lighter because of fewer parts. And if it flips there are no worries of oil getting into the cylinder by going past the rings or through the crankcase breather. Just keep it jetted right and make sure you have the right premix (or oil for the injector like on my blaster). And do the topend jobs regularly because you don't want it to blow when ur riding or ur screwed

Old 08-30-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

>>As a rule people who race will lean out the mixture so oil isn't as big a part in the whole mixture. Better way to say it: the gas to oil ratio is greater.<<

Lean and rich refers to the gas to air ratio not to the oil mixture. Racers do run a leaner mixture than machines from the factory or most rec riders. This means less gas to air, not oil to gas. There is a big misconception that less oil means more power. In reality, the opposite is true. Lower gas to oil ratios give more power. The power will continue to increase as more oil is used until the point that the spark plug will foul. During the one test I know of, they got all the way down to 6:1.

The answer to the reliability question varies based on your definition of reliability. Many people who buy quads drive them until they don't move. They take them to a dealer, pay lots of money and repeat the process. If reliability is viewed as how often this takes place, 4 strokes win. If the amount of money spent is the main factor, the two stroke wins. I view reliability as the confidence that my machine will last the entire trip after driving 20 hours to Little Sahara. In order to insure this reliability, I do maintenance. I view putting rings in a two stroke as maintenance. You can let rings and cylinder wear pretty far before a skirt breaks off a piston a wipes out a case. You will just have less power. Kind of like you can let misadjusted valves in a four stroke go for a long time before they burn or whatever else happens to them.