Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

ATV reccomendations for a 12 year old

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YZ,

If you read my posts about youth atv's you would see that I am against almost anyone putting a kid on a big atv. As for the injury on the LT80, the LT80, in my opinion, is a defective product and should be taken off the market. There is nothing safe about it. Like the Corvair, it is unsafe at any speed.

My point was that in addition to improper instruction on the use of the ATV in your example, the actual ATV probably contributed to the injury by 80-90%. I just want people to know that instead of getting a large ATV because the little atv's are "so bad" as many people say, there are options that are safe and have power and potential.

I am not bashing anyone -- just pointing out a fact that the LT80 is a dangerous machine.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I am beginning to discover through personal observation and through reading these posts is that very few of the 90cc machines are actually built for 12 and older kids. With the apparent exception of Kasea and Honda (am I missing any?), the other manufacturers are building machines only strong enough for use by the 6-12 set. The break down goes kinda like this...

MOST 50cc machines are built for 4-5 year olds
MOST 90cc machines are built for 6-11 year olds

This, I beleive, is because the major manufacturers know that parents are buying them as such and not for the "labelled" age group. They know that parents are buying the Blasters and 250ex's for their 13 year olds despite what the warning label says. They also know that most 90cc's are sold for the younger set so why bother building them better.

I bought an SP90 for my 11 year old (who, at 5'4" and 110 lbs is big for his age). He rides it like a pro, taking it places you'd not imagine. The problem is, he's more capable than the machine. What I mean is, he is capable of taking it on trails the machine is not built for. This is what convinced me that Polaris (and Aeon, who makes the thing anyway) is not really building these for 12 and older. He rides with me, and I pick trails that I am confident he's capable off. By the time he's 13, he should be able to ride trails that would trash one of these little quads in seconds.

Take a look at the Badger/Raptor 80...the front suspension is a bad joke! I've not heard good things about the LT80 and most of the other "off brands" are either re-skinned versions of each others machines, or glorified "toys."

Unfortunately, with the possible exception of Honda, no major ATV manufacturer seems to offer a 90cc machine actually built for the age group it's stickered for. If a parent wants to buy a machine in this cc range, and actually buy a quality one, he's left searching for a dealer of a lesser known brand like Kasea (and their websites are little help in this). Most parents give up and just buy a larger than "recommended" machine. Something I beleive the manufacturers not only know about, but count on.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Pech,

Well said.

On your Polaris 90, have some one strengthen the swing arm and weld extra support in the front a-arms at the clevis pin point.

Works makes shocks for the 90 that will double the travel.

On the engine -- I have carbs, cylinders, trans kits, gears, etc that can easily make the 90 better than a stock mild Blaster. The best thing is that the kids can focus on riding not shifting. When the Kasea 250 twin 4 stroke hits the market, give it a look.

Old 10-23-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

raptor720-I actually agree with you (in part) about the LT80. In fact, our LT is for sale, and we have replaced it with a Honda 90. The LT just isn't a worthy machine for cross country riding, and most important, it doesn't have engine braking. But, the LT is an OK play bike within its limits.

Old 10-23-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the Kasea does engine brake and you can make your LT engine brake with some mods to the clutch.

Old 11-01-2001, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

whatever you do dont get a clutch like a blaster because it will be too hard if he has never ever ridden a quad so start him out with like a utility like bayou 220 or recon. the first time i got on a clutch i was exoerienced with quads and still had problems with clutch!