Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Hey, 2 strokers! Look at this. It's getting bad in generation "thump"....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I say to you curious 4 strokers, I have nothing against 4 strokes. They're fun and getting better all the time. HOWEVER, this thread I found in another forum simply made my jaw hit the floor and I had to share it. Man, I tell ya, magazines today really push 4 strokes. But I never thought it would brainwash kids enough to even wonder the following question. Plus, I don't even see why it's so important to know. It really is apples and oranges.

He asks:

"What would win in a drag,woods, and dune race the cr 80 stock or 400ex stock thanks.. "

After being explained with obvious logic that the little CR would win he asks an even crazier question:

"what if i put a white bros e series pipe , and k&n air filter on then what would win...

Also if i got a 440kit, white bros e series pipe, k&n air filter, jetting kit, and power bomb high flo header would it beat a cr125 thanks..."

Again, he was set straight. But the fact that that question even seriously crossed his mind amazes me. And I blame the media. Heck, a new KX,CR, YZ or RM85 would probably keep up with or flat out beat any of their 250 to 500cc (2stroke) ATV counterparts...nevermind a 400EX...unless it has a turbo or something!

Old 05-02-2002, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thats getting a little carried away. I know a 80 (dirt bike) won't out run a Shee and it sure as hell won't out run a Zilla.

I know what you're saying though. Some kids see an article about Doug Gusts DRZ 440 or Farr's YZF 440 out running some of the 2-strokes on the track and they automatically think that all 4-strokes can out run any 2-stroke. They just lack the common sence that those 4-strokes have A LOT of $$$$$ put into them and that most of it is rider skill. They don't realize that it is cheaper and easier to make that 2-stroke faster plus the fact that it takes a 440 (4-stroke) to out run a 250 (2-stroke)... generally speaking.

And this is coming from a 4-stroke rider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah well, maybe an 85 won't beat a banshee or quadzilla ( they're only a few MPH faster than the 250s..in fact the Banshee stock in less than 3MPH faster than a stock Tecate 4) but I wouldn't bet on it. My 86 KX80 made my eyes tear. they don't have a lot of weight to pull.

Not that top speed is really that important to me, afterall, I changed my KXF's sprockets for more lowend but, how do those C-dales accelerate vs. the 250 racers? I'm assuming you've ridden them before.

Old 05-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

The stock 250R is not the most impressive power ride compare to the 440's.

I get in this argument in the chat rooms all the time.

When the 250R is moded like they all are now they are very impressive, but in thier stock form a 400 EX is actualy very close in power and handling.

if I had a choice these days I would have to give the nod to a 4 stroke just on the close to no maintenance compare to the 2 strokes.

After riding each in a full season you will see the 4 stroke requires much less maintenance.

Old 05-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

Just a point to keep in mind...

"250 racers" is not the 250 "R".
250 racers is a general name for all the 250 two strokes. the R is just one of them. Besides, the R has never been known as the fastest or quickest in stock form. It's fame is for it's near perfect geometry and great all round package.

I only say this because I see many people automatically refer to the R when 250 racers are mentionned.

Old 05-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

<< how do those C-dales accelerate vs. the 250 racers? I'm assuming you've ridden them before. >>

Well, let me put it this way, you would be suprised that a 4-stroke (especially stock) could accelerate like the Dale does. I've only ridden one 250R that was totally set up for MX and although I think it is faster than my Dale, I bet it would be close out of the gate. I haven't ever been blown away on a start unless I miss a gear, but most of the time I am pretty close to the front (which was kinda scary at first since I haven't raced that much. It's kind of intimidating(sp?) to have 4 or 5 quads right next to you and then thinkin about the fact that there is close to 20 more quads right behind you, but I&quot;m getting the hang of it. When I get a job, I'm planning on buying some 18 inch tires and getting a HMF exhaust w/ moto remapping, so I'm sure I'll be getting some awesome starts. Man, take one for a spin, and I garuntee you'll have a HUGE smile on your face.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

My son consistenty tromps me on his ktm65sx when I ride the warrior.. LOL brings a tear to my eye.. (hes 9 and beating me allready) but then again the thing wieghs about 90 lbs HEHE

He has yet to race me on the raptor!!

Old 05-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Yodaddy, I'm sure I would be impressed. I actually tried to get a test ride at my local dealer but they don't allow it. I've heard great things about the C-dales and I really like them. If I had 8 grand lying around, I'd buy a speed tomorrow. However, elephants will wear bloomers before I part w/ my 2 atvs, the R and the Tecate 4...especially the Kawi. The new Kawi and Suzuki 400s seem really good too. We'ew almost there in terms of 4 stroke racers...almost. They're competitve but we're not to the point yet when they blow away a modified 250. When that happens, they've arrived. People should remember that though before they ask what couple of bolts-ons will make an EX beat a motocrosser. PLEASE!

Old 05-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well when it comes to motocross, the best thing you can add is practice. The rider will beat the modifactions any day. In a drag, it's mostly machine.

Old 05-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

absolutely. Most kids today are just concerned with top speed however (like they'll ever really use it anyway). That's why I also always stress how much top speed isn't important. ACCELERATION at useful speeds (upperlowend and midrange) is key to helping racers, especially less experienced ones, get the most out of their performance. That goes goes for aggressive trail riders too. Roostin true everything in the woods w/ great responsiveness, throttle response and acceleration...not too mention good handling will go further than beating your buddy's quad in drag race. BUT, for that occasional comparison for bragging rights, stay in your league and don't believe the impossible. Magazines have a job and that is to keep riders interested w/ fresh info on current ATVs while keeping marketing trends in mind. Just because mags don't really talk about 2 strokes anymore doesn't change that fact they still, for the most part are faster...even if only by a little when stock...mods are another story. That's why we're still waiting for that explosive thumper that will run past the modified 250s.

Quick Reply: Hey, 2 strokers! Look at this. It's getting bad in generation "thump"....