Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

DS 650 V/S RAPTOR

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002 | 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS 650 V/S RAPTOR

Nothing like a good definitive answer... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

They're booth good and equally fast. Raptor has reverse but otherwise get the one that "fits" you. You can't lose either way.

Old 11-13-2002 | 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

ya what wyo said, but if u get a raptor u won't lose has much...and thats the truth!!!!!
ask wyo i beat his banshee all the time!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2002 | 08:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Depends on what you plan to do with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Like Gary said "search"

Old 11-17-2002 | 04:49 PM
PG
Weekend Warrior

Bing,

I see you had a 2000 ex. I also have one with an e-series pipe and increasd jet. I am going to trade or sell it for a Predator, Raptor, or Z400. Yet I do not know about the z400 having much more power over the piped and jetted 400ex. It would be a waste to get a simliar machine. I want more lower end grunt and more power in general. I ride fast trails and some hills. Reverse is nice as is liquid cooling. I am having touble finding a machine to test ride. I am getting a call from the Polaris dealer next week when the Predator comes in. He will let me ride it and the KVX400 kawasaki. I still need to get on a Raptor before I buy one however. What is your opinion on how much more power the Raptor has over your 400ex? Is the 400ex's handling that much better? I also have a 2002 Scrambler 500 like you so you can compare to it also if need be.

Old 11-17-2002 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

pg,

a z400 is a great bike but, so is a 400ex they are very similar in horsepower and handling i just figured out today that the liquid cooling doesnt do nothing a 400ex has one the baja 1000 3 times with out liquid cooling or reverse although it would be nice the air cooled is still more efficaint no dont trade a 400ex for a z400 u already have the bike, those 2 are so similar it just depends on the guy behind the bars!.....good luck

Old 11-18-2002 | 01:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

PG,

If you want more power, then the rap is the answer.

However, all of the bikes you mention are awesome, and pretty evenly matched,,,after all they are all in the same 'class'.

Personally, i prefer to outride someone,,, rather than out power their bike.

Reliability is very important to me also,,,,i prefer not to work on the beast more than i have too.

I suggest you read as many of these forums as you can,,,even the dated ones.

There is a lot to learn on this forum, and we are all better atvers for having it.

Happy trails.
Mark

oh yeah,,,be careful of 1st year bikes

Old 11-18-2002 | 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: 66oDisturbed
ya what wyo said, but if u get a raptor u won't lose has much...and thats the truth!!!!!
ask wyo i beat his banshee all the time!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][/
__________________________________________________ _______________________
i really dont know if your bs ing but my friend has a rapter and we both top out at the same exact speed.In a race in a field i beet him by a quad length or 2. on the road he beets me by a quad length or 2. WE both have bald tires. If i had a choice to get a brand new banshee or rapter i would still pick my banshee. Its is so much more comfertable and fun to ride(not tippy either)Both Quads are stock. Ive heard stories of banshees taking rapters so eaisy but i still belive there equill

Old 11-18-2002 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well, Disturbed has an unusually fast Raptor. It's a close race between us. Of course, I have about 75 pounds on him so if I went on a serious diet it wouldn't be so close anymore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2002 | 02:29 PM
Range Rover

if your over 6 foot and "big boned" you may like the ds more but if your smaller you will like the nible feel of the raptor

Old 11-21-2002 | 04:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok Here's The Scoop - As I Know To To Be!
I Know Nothing About The DS-650 - I Have The Raptor And My Riding Buddie Has The Z400

I Hear The Ds-650 Is A Sweet Bike.

Most Quad Owners, ( Who Say There Bikes Best! ) As You Know Are Very Proud Of Their Bike.

You Must Match Any Quad With The Rider And Where It Is You Ride The Most !!!
Riders Differ In Size Shape & Weight, And That Must Be Compensated For Through Adjustments.
So Test Riding A Bike Will Only Give You A Small InSite As To Its Ability And Its Stock Handeling.

As An Example : I Weight in At 165 Lbs And Im 5'7" Tall, And When I Was Looking To Buy A New Bike
I Went to Check Out The Z400 At The Dealer, The Suspension Felt Week! Then I Went To Check Out
The Raptor And The Suspension Felt Rock Hard, Both Dealers Said Their Bike Was Best. The Suzuki
Dealer Said Well The Yamaha Was Taller And Nerrower So It Would Be More Likely To Tip Vs The Z400
oohh Theres Scare Tactics For ya, And The Yamaha Dealer Said The Suzuki Was A Wana Be Raptor.

Well For My Weight And Hight The Stock Raptor And Suzuki Were Both In Need Of A Suspension Overhaul.
After Talking To Many Other People And Reading And Reserching Both Bikes I Picked The Raptor. Neither Bike
Had Major + Or - But The Reason I Bought It Was Because Ive Had A Few Too Many Problems With the Suzuki dealers
Repair Center When Ive Brought My Kids Suzuki Lt 50 In For Service There! But The Other Suzuki Repair Place All The Way
Across Town Has Always Done Grad A++ Work, So You Need To Know Who In You Area Can Be Trusted To Take Care Of Your
Bike As It Only Takes One Careless Tech Not To Tighten Just One Bolt That Could Change Your Life!

Any Bike You Pick Weather It Be A Raptor 660, Suzuki Z400, Ds-650 Or Any Other For That Matter Will Still Need To Be
Tuned To You And The Type Of Riding You Do, Just Remember Any Bike Can Be Made To Out Due Another !!

One More Thing You Might Consider, This Is The First Production Year For The Z400.
Just Might Be Wise To Give Them Time To Work Out Any Bug's For Next Years Run.

Raptor's First Year Was A Trany Nightmare - But Was Fixed By The 2002 Production Run, What Will Be The Z400 1st Run Bug Be ???

Quick Reply: DS 650 V/S RAPTOR