Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 02:43 PM
ztn
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....

I just sent this email to dirtwheels regarding their Modified Dune Shootout. Mind you, I favor none of the machines but it's just ridiculous how they find a way to make the Z win EVERYTHING.

Comments:

I was just reading your Sand Dune Shootout in Jan. 03. I own none of the ATV's in the shootout (I ride a 250R and Tecate 4) but I must say that your fixation w/ the Z is evident as it wins, yet again, a shootout it is designed to lose. It's like corrupt boxing! What rider are you aiming at w/ this shootout?? It seems like you think your readers are green, first-time buyers/riders who just learned to ride a bicycle and have $5 to spend on a quad. Since when (and I'm 30) did the criteria for a
winner become "lowest price" and "easiest power"?? The Z beats the 'Dale in a "high performance shootout" because it's quieter and is easier for beginners and trail riding even though the 'Dale whipped it in every PERFORMANCE catergory?? And now the Z wins a modified DUNE shootout??? Duning is all about topend and high speed maneuvering. How do you justify intentionally including criteria like low speed handling, bottom end power and value? It looks to me like you needed a means to shave points off the Banshee and give them to the Z. Speaking of the Banshee, how does a 2 stroke score last in "motor snappiness"?? you almost relunctantly gave it 1st in acceleration and needed irrelevant power criteria to drag it down.
Another thing, why use a modified Moto (a horrible value for duning)rather than the Glamis which is MADE for duning?? or least a Speed??

I'm sure I'm not the only one asking these obvious questions. Let the best machine win. Z's and KFX's will sell regardless.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

yes i too am sick of the new Z already. it's winning everything! it's not the best quad you can buy!! you moght have noticed that dirtwheels had done a shootout in the august 2002 isuues also that feastures the z, 400ex and cannondale cannibal. and who wins? THE Z!!!!!! NO WAY!!! the top ranked suzuki gets many comments about "how light it felt"(the dale is 17lbs. lighter bit it didn't FEEL that way) . the article then goes on to say "it has the best suspension we've ever tested. next paragraph,"however it is one of the first to bottom out"(yeah that makes alot of sense, i'm sure you want a quad that will bottom easily when riding hard) this is a high performance shootout after all. the second place dale's opening paragraph says"cannondale wanted to offer the first quads which were race-ready off of the showroom floor. they infact accomplished that goal. stock for stock your best chance to win any tt,motocross or cross-country race is with the cannondale. plain and simple. --THESE MACHINES WERE TESTED ON MX TRACKS!!! how does the Z win??? because it's more comfortable and easy to ride i guess. so i am to understand that to be top notch in high-performance your quad MUST be comfortable and easy to ride. thats what wins races right? NO!!! the dale kicked the Z in everyway possible(except suspesion plushness) if you read on in the article if you own this issue. the dale is lighter faster has better tires and more power BUT IT DOESN"T WIN!!!!!! HOW CAN THIS BE????

Old 12-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That previous shootout took the cake. The pros were faster (of course) on the Cannondale......and get this....the good 'ol boys were faster on the Z!!!!! Baaaaahhhaaaaa! So the Z was considered the winner. This is ridiculous.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Another thing that rubs me the wrong was is how these magazines complained about a too soft suspension on the C-dale atv's when first introduced. Well, Cannondale now sets these babies up for a 300 pound man and still does'nt get any suspension props from the mags? In the dune shootout, the Moto sufferred in handling and stability points. Whats up with that? It's BS folks.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I glad someone speaking up!!!!!!!!give it to them..

Old 12-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the crew at dirt wheels had to get on their knees and now they have free personal z 400's. all of them.

Old 12-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I like the part where they said the Moto was 46 1/2" wide. WTF. The moto is 50" wide. The specs they give are for the speed or cannibal. I agree that the z400 is a good quad, but in a shootouts DW always goes with it even if the cannondale post better time. It sounds like they need to proof read their articles and make sure the specs are correct. Another thing way didn't they wait until the Glamis came out to do this shootout or use the speed which the Glamis is base on? Then they turn around and slam the Moto on the high price compared to the others. And how can any of the other quads suspension be better than the moto in stock condition. Dual rated piggy back rezzies that are fully adjustable vs. preload only adjustment. Which one would you want of the two. Stock z shocks or stock moto? The articles is totaly BS. And everybody knows the Banshee and DS where built for Duners and the Raptor with its larger displacement. I'm not a Duner but I know the more HP the better for duning so way won't the moto be on the top of the list since it has the most HP.

Old 12-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

This is exactly why i quit wasting my money subscribing to the mags.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Need4speed, you have a point. But unfortunately, there's no other way to get new info on ATV's.
All we can do is separate the BS from the facts.

Old 12-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

the crew at dirt wheels had to get on their knees and now they have free personal z 400's. all of them. Thats pretty sad.....no self respect.

Quick Reply: Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....