Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....

I agree totally with ztn. In the new ATV Action mag. They to are all for the new z. But they admit that they had to replace the rear axle...prior to even starting the shootout between the Raptor & the new z.
It probably is a decent ride???? However, each to his own, I prefer my Raptor.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

My brother and I were just talking about this tonight, no way should the slowest quad of the bunch be winning a dune shootout. Its ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

You have got to realize these mags are selling out as marketing tools for the ATV companies. The next new sport quad made by a major company (Kawi700?) will probably win all of the shootouts.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

I have just recieved my copy of DW and can tell you that I really do agree with what is being said. As you will notice I own a Z, and though I am very happy with it, it has its time and place ( trails). I think personally that the winner should have been the Banshee but, that is just the opinion that I am entitled to. The Yamaha Raptor, Cannondale Moto 440 and the Bombardier Baja Ds 650 are great quads too but, for as long as I can remember the Banshee rules the dunes.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Here is my beef with the article.
They said the moto felt tippy. How can that be when it is the second widest, the lightest and has the lowest seat height. All the other bikes got pipe, filter and jets. Even though the moto makes around 40 they could have got a couple of more hp out of it with and aftermarket pipe and custom map. How can you complain about it's price when you choose the most expensive model Cannondale has they could have put Tag bars, graphics, gripper seat and sand paddles on a Cannibal with a pipe and remap and saved thousands and price wouldn't have been there for them to complain about. How does the least powerful quad win a sand shootout when all duners say power is paramount in the dunes.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

i aggree i think that modified dune shootout wasn't very good seems they lost the point that a high performance shoot out is about the best quad not the best value or cheapest i mean right off the start they were like the z400 has the least power it didn't win any catagory and yet it still won
just another thought when the raps and ds's and other quads they said that the new high performance quads were way better and the 400ex just didn't have the power not really all the z400 is is a updated 400ex with slightly more power yet now they say how the z400 power is all smooth easy to use blah blah blah which i'm sure is also true on a 400ex so just because is has 2 more hp little better suspension all of a sudden its better then a raptor ...strang the mags always seem to pick whats new also how come the ds won the suspension part doesn't the cannondale have like olins not that theres something wrong with the z400 its great that more manufactures are coming out with sport quads jmo
-cory

Old 12-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Is there any magazine worth a damn out there? I'm tired of dirtwheels ma damn self.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

They used the Moto because that is what Alba gave them.

Which quad do you think that Alba sells the most of right now?
I am guessing the Z because of it's lower price.

That is the main reason that the Z is one of the best sport quads out. It has good performance and features at a reasonable price. With the Predator coming out at $5999, I think Yamaha will have to lower the price of the Raptor. DS650 really needs to come down in price.

Just ignore DW's opinions and read the rest of the article and pick your own winner based on your own needs.

All these quads have their good and bad points. I would like to own every one of them.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:08 AM
Trailblazer

It pisses me off too, but I dont think that anyone who reads that tripe cant see through the bias. It's too poorly written and too overtly slanted towards their favorite.

I offer myself as a case in point. 2 months ago I was in the dealership once a week just to 'sit' on the z400 as I waited for funds to accumulate enough to buy it. I was completely enamoured, it was going to be my next bike. The only thing I knew about cannondales was they made pretty cool mountain bikes.

My FIRST exposure to Cannondale was in the dirtwheels shootout with the Z400 where my dream bike won, BUT! It took all of 2 seconds to read through the BS and see what the better bike was and now I own a 2003 Cannibal.

Ironically I would not have bought the Caqnnondale had it not been for Dirtwheels covering it, however poor it was.

I have yet to hear anyone stand up for their reviews, even z owners, that just goes to show how bad their writing skills are and how obvious their bias is.

Amazing that a better rag hasnt stepped up to fill the void. Any financial backers out there? I'll be the editor.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said, laptraffic. I like that story. Tell me, have you ridden a Z yet? I ask that because I've never ridden a 'Dale and I was curious about those "winning qualities" for the Z in that shootout like "smoother suspension and power" compared to the "harsh and overly explosive Cannondale"?

Quick Reply: Another bogus shootout from Dirtwheels....