Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

A Shootout to satisfy the Masses

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:13 AM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Shootout to satisfy the Masses

Well lets her it. What should the criteria be for conducting a fair and honest Sport Quad comparison.

Things like Speed, Handling, Jumping, Track Lap Times, Power to Weight? What type of conditions, Sand, Mud, Woods, MX? 2 Stroke, 4 Stroke? Should Reliability, Ergonomics, Reverse, Weight, Maintinance, Cost, Riders Ability be a concideration? Auto Trany, Manual Shift, Struts, A arms? Should it be conducted by Pros or the average Joe rider?

Lets hear your oppinions and see if we can't form some kind of concensus.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

1. Track times on mx track, cc track, and tt track
2. Speed both quickness of acceleration and top speed
3. Handling in all aspects (on the ground or in the air)
4. Suspension
5. Power delivery and ir's characteristics
6. Dimensions: wieght, length, width, seat height etc.
7. Quality of craftman ship

I also think they could use things like maintenance level, potential design flaws or price to come up with other possibilities but only after a clear cut winner is produced under the test. Maybe the moto is the shootout winner but then you come back and say if you can't afford 12.5k and prefer to ride it and forget it maybe the kfx400 or the predator is for you or something like that.

Let's keep the list growing and do something like send it to DW with all our signatures. They won't do anything anyways but they'll know there is a sceptical eye watching thier a$$es

Old 12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt,

Why would you send it to Dirt Wheels when you're chatting on ATV Connection Magazine? We do shoot outs!!!! Send your ideas to us!

Old 12-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

dbeck,
You have access to all our ideas first anyways. We are trying to get the other ATV magazines to straighten up a little enough advertiser bias. You guys get all our ideas first hand.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

This is true! But please send the ideas to us too! We don't read every post. Always looking for ways to improve our product....

Old 12-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Or maybe what you're saying is the other magazines should read our forums to learn from us? Heheheheheheh

By the way, they do read the forums. As does Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, etc.....

Old 12-15-2002, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

If they are all reading the forums all I have to say is this.

1. How about some honest shootouts where the quads that win actually win.

2. For Yamaha and Honda How about some of that killer 4 stroke technology in quad. I know people say sport quads aren't much of the quad market but click today's new posts and see how many of the posts are sport quad related.

3. Hey KTM time to put those monster 4 stroke motors in quads and build a US manufacturing plant. You guys said you can't keep up with demand so it looks like it's the perfect time to expand and take over the market.

4. Dirt Wheels one other point to you guys lets not spread anymore Honda 450ex rumors OK.

What are the odds that any of these folks actually give a cr@p about this stuff. They'll probably say "We've seen the forums bold new graphics for all"

Old 12-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

dbeck,

We know you guys are fair. If you weren't, we would be all over you like a dirty diaper.

RPM,

I think the tests should be conducted by "average riders". Frankly what a "pro" could do on it doesn't interest me (as I'm not, nor ever will be a "pro").

DirtDiggler,

My thoughts exactly! Let the best be the best, price is no object. As long as we are just talking stock machines, and not ones modified up to the price of the most expensive machine. Not one off machines that come into the counrty one at a time, but stock machines you can buy at any dealer.

Old 12-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,

I agree. We've done tests where we had local riders show up and go ride. Then afterwards, interviewed them for their thoughts.

What would be really great is to have some kind of tests like consumer reports does.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that they should use riders from all different riding abilities. There are several sport quads that are sold that are just used for trail riding. I'm sure that a Cdale would be the best for a pro racer, at least from what I have read. But I also talked to a guy that had one and said that it wasn't worth a crap for trail riding. I tend to read the facts and make my own decisions on which quad I want to buy. I have never had a shoot out winner before, but it is nice to have one now. I don't think that makes it a better quad. I paid it no mind when I was looking and buying because I usually don't agree with the rags anyway. If you like it that is all that matters. If you quad or one that you are wanting to buy didn't win get over it. They are just opinions and we know they are like .........

Quick Reply: A Shootout to satisfy the Masses