Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

KFX700 = 80+ mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

"gentlemen's agreement" is indeed still in effect

Rep's will tell you anything to help make a sale (84mph), I suppose they told you it would make a great quad for the motocross track also? At that weight and with the stock suspension it just wouldn't make a good out of the box mx quad. There's not enough suspension travel stock.

Stright line racing might be good stock class but if you pipe it or modded your running into a higher class and your running into streetbike motor's and big bore 2 strokes that would smoke it.

I think it might be alot of fun in the dunes or cross country though. It's still heavy though.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

To come to that conclusion you must have ridden one! Oops not out yet so you have no way to back up that argument!

Old 02-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Range Rover
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

Whatever the gearing is going to be it will be difficult to get much more speed out of it with the shaft drive. The only way to make more top speed is to spin the engine faster or change the gear ratio which could be spendy with the shaft drive. Maybe some taller tires or..??

Old 02-26-2003, 03:52 AM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

Pleasure4qt,

First off, the rep was a Technical Instructor, and has nothing to do with the Marketing side of the equation. He deals strictly with the mechanical aspects and requirements of the 700. The way I see it, he has nothing to gain from feedling a bunch of Service Managers and Mechanics a load of Bull.

Even Kawi isn't marketing it as an MX Racer, so I'm not sure why you are? They are putting all of their $ behind it as a GNCC Racer. My understanding of the GNCC format involves a lot of open flat out sections (Correct me if I am wrong) where Speed is of some importance.

Don't take this wrong, but you're talking like a lot of guys I used to street race that were worried about whether or not they could measure up when the time came. Your Predator is a hell of an MX and all around Quad for that matter. I don't think that the KFX700 is gonna be any better of a Quad than what you are riding, just a different one. Wait until it gets here and give it a chance to do the talking for itself.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Range Rover
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

I think the 700 will be awesome, I just tried to point out a difficulty in bringing more speed to the table

Old 02-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

Doesn't it have a CV belt transmission like a snowmoble? There are snowmobles that can do well over a hundred MPH.....You just need to change some springs and weights.

The only things I think Kawa may have missed on is the weight and suspension. A CV transmission can be "tuned"....Ever watch the snowmobile cross on ESPN?

Old 02-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX700 = 80+ mph

Originally posted by: pleasure4qt
"gentlemen's agreement" is indeed still in effect

Rep's will tell you anything to help make a sale (84mph), I suppose they told you it would make a great quad for the motocross track also? At that weight and with the stock suspension it just wouldn't make a good out of the box mx quad. There's not enough suspension travel stock.

Stright line racing might be good stock class but if you pipe it or modded your running into a higher class and your running into streetbike motor's and big bore 2 strokes that would smoke it.

I think it might be alot of fun in the dunes or cross country though. It's still heavy though.
Yes, i agree. Those reps always say this and that about a new quad when it comes out and they flat out tell a lot of BS. I'm sure the new Kawi will be a great quad but remember when the Raptor came out and a Yamaha rep in Dumb Wheels magazine said it would totally bury the DS-650 and top out in the 80's. And how about when the 400ex came out and a Honda rep hinted that it could have top end speed over a Banshee. HEHE. Wait till it comes out and find out for yourself.