Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

400EX or Scrambler 400 2X4 wich is the better quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX or Scrambler 400 2X4 wich is the better quad

Originally posted by: PmanX8
For the same price as an EX, you can get a new Scrambler 400 (Which is now called the Trailblazer 400 for 03-04) and throw some mods in it and not only eat the EX, but also banshee's and such. ya the EX might handle better on a race track, but thats not the only place people ride. the Polaris will put out more Power to both the crank and the wheels, and in a strait line drag on flat dirt, YES the polaris would most likely win. for beeing more than almost 500 pounds, the Scrambler 400 is still a fast and powerfull quad. and the Upgrades for them are awesome. im not bashing the EX at all, i rode one, i think it is "OK", but people never give Polaris any credit, and you Jap-Fans always bash on them hard.
Ha ha
Now that's funny a trailblazer eating a shee. Yeah right. I ride with a guy that has a trailblazer and we can't even touch my raptor. not even close. I can out drag him so bad it's not even funny and a shee will walk neck and neck with my Raptor. So if you think a modded Trailblazer can eat a shee you've never ridden anything with real power.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

BlackRaptor,

He was talking about the 400 Trailblazer/Scrambler/Sport, not the 250 Trailblazer. And yes, they can be made to go fast. MUCH faster than your Raptor. But hey, don't take my word for it, you live up in "modquad's" neck of the woods, why don't you race him. Pink slip for pink slip or title for title whatever they have up there. I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you an education in how fast (and quick) a Polaris can be.

That being said, you'll never get a Trailblazer/Scrambler/Sport to handle better than the 400EX. You can try (I did) but about the only thing you'll do is get it to handle equally with a stock one.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I was also talking about a 400 trailblazer.
This one wasn't all that modded I think it had a clutch kit and pipes on it.
But I wasn't very impressed. I know it couldn't take a shee. Anything can be modded into twice the machine. So yeah I guess maybe if you modded the **** out of it, it may be able to take a bone stock shee. but you would really have to do a ton to that motor for it to keep up with something like a shee/raptor/predator. But don't get me wrong I love Polaris and have been a fan for as long as I've owned sleds and quads. If the predator was in its 2nd year I would have gotten that over the raptor. Which I'll trade for one next year. If I don't end up putting a craftycraft in this one.

Oh I just talked to my buddy who raced a bone stock shee up on modded 400 sport. and he said he killed that sport so bad. Guy on the sport was pissed he waisted his money on the sport. I"m not slamming polaris i'm just saying word for word what I was told.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Okay...I have owned all 3 quads in question (EX, Scrammy, and Shee)...here is the scoop.

The original question was what is better in Overall handling, overall speed, and overall performance.

Between the EX and Scrammy...

Overall Handling...as said before, hands-down the 400ex...no questions. The Polaris isn't a handler when it comes to fast riding.

Overall Speed....Well, stock for stock the EX might edge the Scrambler out a little big on top end, but I bet the Scrambler would jump it off the line. With a few simple mods the Scrambler can be made to go faster and it will be easier to do than modding the EX. So I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you want something JUST for speed and you plan on modding it, the Scrambler would be the one to get out of the two of these quads.

Overall performance....tough question...depends on WHERE it will be performing. On an MX track, obviously an EX would be the choice. On a drag strip, a modded Scrambler would be the one you would want. In the woods it would depend on the terrain...fast easy trails the EX would be awesome, but when you get on the extremely rough trails with lots of mud, rocks, trees, and steep hills I'd pick the Polaris. That thing goes anywhere. The EX can be a pain and I personally don't like it on the hard trails...the front end is so light and it gets so much traction it's deadly.

Now regarding the Banshee issue. I can tell you right now, stock for stock a Polaris 400 will do pretty good against a Banshee in a short distance. My neighbor also owns a Banshee and I raced him several times on pavement with my Sport against his Shee. I could jump ahead on take off for like the first 300-400ft. He had a lot more top end, but I could get him until that point. I put a pipe and clutch kit on my Polaris and I could take him by even more...Still no comparison on top end. I spent a lot of time in the Polaris forum here and there are SEVERAL guys with Polaris's that would smoke highly modded Banshee's....It's a fact.

Now, just my .02 on a couple other things. If I was strictly a trail rider and rode only on slow to moderate speed trails I would probably pick the Polaris. If I rode trails and dirt roads, and wanted something scary fast (which is more like how I was last year), I'd pick the Banshee. If I wanted to ride MX, and have something easy to play around on, and good for fast light trails I'd pick the 400ex (which is pretty much how I am now).

Just my opinion...everybody rides in different places under different conditions....opinions can vary.

-Josh

Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

i completely agree with black raptor, a trail blazer of any kind nomatter how modified wouldnt touch a banshee, he11, mine will do everybit of 100 mph no doubt.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, you could ask me if a 400ex is better than a trailblazer if i was in a coma and i would still say yes.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

a trail blazer of any kind nomatter how modified wouldnt touch a banshee, he11, mine will do everybit of 100 mph no doubt.
RIIIGHT!!!

Old 06-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

a trailblazer with mods would spank a banshee in a drag, top end would probably be the banshee,but not by much.

Old 06-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned both, It depends on the ride!, the scrambler is nice for trail riding and for sand hill racing, because of that automatic tranny, but it also takes all the power away. The 400 is a very nice LIGHT bike that you can spin cookies on and have fun.
They are both great bikes! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mike you idiot, go ask sportyrox if it will, he lives near me, and hes ridden it, you dont know what your talking about.ask any banshee rider with pipes and bored over.Geez

Quick Reply: 400EX or Scrambler 400 2X4 wich is the better quad