Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - $50 Reward to the person who steers me in the right direction

I may have missed something but...
I would first lift the machine and check for resistance in the drivetrain by hand but turning the wheels with everything as is.
I also would remove the belt and do the same thing and watch for the results
Check the linkage and make sure it is going through the FULL ranhe of motion (I would find one sitting at a dealer and measure it or just do it by feel.
I dont know how to pull the clutch on the Suz. but on my Kaw. you do need a special tool or you can make one for about $10. If you check out the Kaw board search for cluch removal, Nycro (the guy who first made it has a website and it has directions on how to make the tool - run a search for his screen name and info will come up - great site)
If you pull the clutch I am sure you can start check each piece one by one and trouble shoot.
Anyway this is FREE and I wish you luck. I dont know much about Suzuki's (just got a Z400 as a second bike and learning myself) but I also would look for a way to avoid poping the cases apart if possible.
Good luck!

Old 06-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - $50 Reward to the person who steers me in the right direction

I definitely appreciate the reply Code (and all that have replied)...

I haven't actually lifted the machine, but I can tell you from pushing it around that there is no (I mean no) resistance whatsoever in the wheels. It feels just as it would were the machine in neutral. Whether I have it in gear or not, doesn't matter - still feels the same when pushing it.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well from what you have said so far it sounds like the tranny is not moving into the selected range or you have a busted drive shaft. Put the quad into the air like code says, put it into low or high, play with it till it clicks into the selected range. Then turn the rear tires (make sure its not in 4x4) and the secondary clutch should move. If it doesn't move the problem is not in the clutches but the tranny or drive shaft.

There will be a boot between the swingarm and the motor that will house the driveshaft most likely, if its anything like my Praire. Remove the boot or feel it and see if the driveshaft is broken. If its intact and not to sloppy then take a look inside the tranny. Once in the tranny see how all the pieces fit and make sure nothing is sheared off or broken. Have fun.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

Thanks Much for all the ideas on this problem guys....

I've pretty much checked everything recommended and my gut level thought at this point is there has to be something busted in the tranny.

I'll go ahead and pull the motor and take everything apart.

I appreciate all your pointers, I always like to get opinions before diving in head first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll put up a post once I determine what is broke just in case anyone else should run into the same problem.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

most likely it is either not shifting into gear range or the bevel gears that drive the output shaft are damaged. so I would first try to move the gear selector that your shift cable hooks to and try to engage it further or when it is in gear and your running it watch the driveshaft out the back of the motor and see if that is turning. hope that helps somewhat.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Got this all figured out!

As promised, I'll make the info available for any of you gearheads that are curious what is was.

I have a thread going on my motorcycle website which will probably be the easiest way to check it out.

Please hit this link, if you want to read about it. You don't need to be a member of the site to read it:

Link

Again, thanks for all the responses guys.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just finished replacing the bearing in that case on my 2000 quadmaster. The case up here is $350.00 cnd funds I am sure glad I did not have to replace it too. I put the Vinson 10.2:1 piston in and that made a real nice power increase. My machine has been an awesome machine until that bearing went out. Definately not the most powerfull or the fastest but it has been the most reliable one that I have owned to date. Hope you have it up and running soon. I checked out the pics on the other site and it has me baffled on how this happened, you seem to be very knowledgable on the repairs but if you have any Qs don't hessitate to ask I have had quite a few of these and the cats apart for many different repairs.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

I appreciate the offer alot Bad1!

Any other "weak" spots on these machines you know of? I figure while I got it torn down I might as well tackle everything.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I can't even imagine how someone did that to the transmission. I have a 2001 and it has pulled a harrow and even been used to pull out a stuck fullsize ford pick up, that took alot of slamming the strap tight in low range and it didn't even faze the trany. These things are about as reliable as any quad ever built mine gets rode like I stole it and it never complains, I am buying something faster and giving the quadmaster to my wife. Good luck these things are tanks when they are running mine can go anyplace the tires are up to.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Well guys, after alot of analyzing and wrenching, I believe I have figured out what happened.

I'll detail here just in case it happens to anyone else down the road, because this was a bitch to figure out. :-(

There is a shaft holder which sits on the end of the main output shaft (reference item #2 here: http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...dept_id=121669).

Its not shown on that fiche, but picture a cap sitting on the external side of the right crankcase behind the bearing #21 in the fiche.

That cap came loose. In fact once I got the cover behind the clutches off, there was a 1/4" gap between the cover and the crankcase mating surface. Not good.

Note: The 3 screws in that cap did NOT have lock-tite on them, and the gear that was broken is no longer available and has been superceded by a new part. Coincidence? You tell me. I have inspected the cases quite closely, and I don't think they have been apart since manufacture.

Basically when the cap came loose, the shaft bounced, all hell broke loose and the gear cocked and snapped off between the weight-drill holes. Not good.

I have a performance machine shop that is going to repair the crankcase halve where the case broke (reference my link higher up in this thread). You do not EVEN want to know what the (mandatory) 2 crankcase halves cost!!!!! Okay, $1000 U.S. from Suzuki.

Hope this all makes sense, I've tried to condense it, but it is worth knowing if you own one of these machines, I am going to try to get some recall money out of Suzuki, because there has obviously been a problem (i.e. the gear #20 on the schematic was replaced).

Please post if you want more details on this....

Quick Reply: Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....