Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

I think you have nailed it Blitz, that makes total sense other than the three allen head capscrews that hold that cast peice in place there are only the 2 bearing retainers held with 2 phillups screws on the inside which you should tighten with a impact screw driver. I screwed up on the price of the cases the other day they are $1350.00 canadian funds glad you have a good machine shop nearby also. As for any weak points the only thing that has been fairly common is the bearings in the outer drivebelt cover $6.00 apiece at a local bearing supply shop the screws that hold the retainers on these bearings are aluminum so use the impact driver on them also if not you will have to drill them out. Hope you get it back together soon and enjoy riding. Most of the repairs that I have done have all been because of driver abuse, what most people think of as driver abuse, might as well multiply it by a 100 times , some of thes guys around here are unbelieveablly hard on their stuff, but what the heck I'll take their money because I'mm cheaper than the dealer and the local shops. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Suzuki LT-A500F 4x4 - looks like the tranny is gonna have to come apart....

Well, the mystery has been solved as to the cause. Bad1 (and any other lt-a500f owners) you will definitely want to read about it!

I updated the thread over on my motorcycle website, you can view it here:

Link

If you own one of these machines, you definitely should be aware of this, because while the broken gear is not that big of a deal, the broken crankcase is (very expensive), I got really lucky in that my crankcase was repairable by a good machine shop, if not you are looking at $1700-$1900 by the time parts and labor are all tallied. I do my own work, but even still the crankcase halves are almost $1000 U.S. (yes, you HAVE to buy both).

Knowing what I know now about this, if I bought another of these machines I would make it a winter project to pull the motor, split the cases and replace this gear. If it does go, it can do alot of damage in a short amount of time.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

This may be good news to some of you, but my 2000 quadmaster already had the solid cast gear in the tranny when I had to split it apart recently. Something is real fishy here I bought mine new off the show room so why does it have the new gear? The service dept at the dealership has never seen my machine since I picked it up and has no record of any updates on it before I purchased it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmmmm very interesting!

I also noticed that the Suzuki manual shows the gear as solid, not drilled.

My guess is that Suzuki made a mid year change - my ATV is probably an earlier build date than yours?

I agree - very fishy....

Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 Suzuki LT-A500F ....

YO Blitzrieg,
Just had the same problem and had to replace 4 gears,1 bearing, 1 gasket kit, 1 upgrade collar and oil and filter for a total parts cost of $780.00 canadian and labor of $445.00.
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Somebody out here has to have a few ideas on this. The rear shaft snapped inside. Hope this is helpfull. ....I am looking for the Part #s for the inner and otter front bearing for the same bike....later...candlemaker

I joined the site a week or so ago, but nobody responded to my initial post, not even to welcome me... :-(

Heres the scoop:

I picked up a 2000 Suzuki LT-A500F QuadMaster 4x4 via a bank repo, the machine is in very good condition, but will not move in 2 or 4 wheel drive, low, high or reverse. Unfortunately, because its a repo, I have no idea what happened to it. Abuse should NOT be ruled out.

The belt appears good, and after removing the belt cover, I can see the moveable (front) drive face gearing in and out as it should.

Now heres the situation: I am very motorcycle literate, in fact I have rebuilt many motorcycle engines, but I am totally ignorant of the drivetrains on these four wheel drive machines. The Suzuki factory manual is less than helpful as far as trouble shooting the problem.

Before I pull the motor and split the cases and start attempting to find the problem via the process of elimination, I was hoping that surely someone here might have an educated opinion as to what might be wrong or things to look for.

If you do have some suggestions to help me out, and that turns out to be the problem, I will send you $50 for your trouble (first person to post it). I am honest and will follow through with my offer. Alternately, if you wish you could earn some brownie points on motorcycle advice from me if you would prefer.

Thanks Much for any (knowledgable) ideas guys, I appreciate it.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Broken drive gear

Suzuki made the main drive gear with windows making the gear weak
the gear breaks and takes the inner case wall out as well. complete tear down and replacement of the gear ( which now doesn't have windows) and one half of the case ( expensive part).