Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Engine Work--Who does it well???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Work--Who does it well???

I am looking to send out the engine in my LT to shop to have some work done. As far as I know the engine is basically stock, the top end was redone but thats about it. Anyone know what I can have done for around 500 dollars, or less? Anyone know any good shops to deal with? Thanks guys

Old 06-24-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

I sent you a private message. Also LRD can do some porting for ya. Don't know how much though.
later
Superstar

Old 06-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Range Rover

most respectable shops will charge these amounts :

bore:40-50
bore w/new wiseco piston & gaskets:140-150
head mod:40
porting w/all the above 350-450. This price may vary depending on how extensive the port work and condition of your cylinder.

I agree that LRD is a very good place to send your motor but id look for something local , shipping just takes away from the money you have to spend. If you must send it make sure its a place that you would trust. IM not sure what you are expecting for 500 . 500 will replace your entire top end and give you porting, or give you a nice bottom end rebuild but not both. I just had my whole motor gone through and it cost 1500. Ihad the head modded, porting, new sleeve , piston with mod, hot rod kit,crank rebuild, shift forks , 5 new gears, new water pump, all new bearings and seals, new cylinder studs, and a few other small fixes . IT gets expensive fast so do what you can yourself, to save money like splitting your own cases if you need to, or putting in your new piston.

Old 06-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Icehouse, that is a list of stuff I was considering for my LT250. What model did you have this done to, and how did it turn out? Thanks, Shady

Old 06-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Range Rover

I have a 89 lt250r quadracer and i am very pleased with it. Before all this was done i only had a pipe/sil. and a k&n filter as far as upgrades go . It was about as fast as a stock banshee, maybe a little slower. I think it woulda been faster but i had a cracked piston/sleeve and it shifted horribly and popped out of gear often . New shift forks fixed the popping out of gear. I wasnt happy about getting a new sleeeve and a stock bore i thought the bike would be slow with a 246 cc bore. The guy that did the work convinced me that after he did his porting and other mods it would be extremely fast even witha stock bore. It definately is very fast and i always recommend buying a used 2-stroke and modifying it how you like it. The power band is sweet , it pulls hard through every gear and the power is real smooth, without big spikes like banshee. Get an LRD adjustable pipe before you do any other work, it made a huge difference in performance for me. What i love most is that i only have less than 4500 invested and it smokes most banshees and all 4-strokes that ive come across thus far. I read your profile and i see youve been to moses lake , i just moved from Federal way to cali. I used to go to moses 4-5 times a year, I brought this bike there only once. This guy in our group had a raptor with a pipe and a few other mods and i raced him twice. Once on that set of whoops that parallel those telephone/power lines. I thought he would win because raptors in my opinion have way better suspension, and at that time i hadnt really broke my motor in. I smoked him and he was so upset, he said i must have a big bore. I laughed and didnt tell him i only gave it 3/4 throttle so i didnt hurt my new motor. I went to moses on the fourth of july and it was like a warzone the next day, there were atv and busted truck parts everywhere, and our tent almost burned down , it was alot of fun.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Hey that sounds good on the motor work. I have been contemplating for some time going thru mine, and am at the point of either giving to my kid and building a Raptor, or doing suspension and motor on the 250, maybe an LRD 300 set up. If I do go back into the 250 I want to make it sick. LRD guy says about 52 horsepower with the ported 300, and huge rideable torque. The thought of spending thousands on a unit that old bugs me but I'll never sell it so it's not whether I can recover the money, just whether I get my enjoyment out of it. I was in Moses back in the days when the Quadracer was a new contraption. Ate a lot of dirt there. Drank a lot of beer there. Broke a lot of parts there. Thanks for the comments on your motor work, you mind telling who did it?

Old 07-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know of salvage yard for bikes, I'm in need of 86 LT250 R crank case or another motor, just bout it , the guy said it was just needing a clutch ya right ..can you guys help me out.