Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?

What Honda - the 400 ex ??? not in the same class as the Z let alone the YFZ.

The Z will appeal to people who have to have reverse, but as good as it is, it will always be the second cousin to the Raptor. People who want reverse probably also want as much torque / biggest engine as possible.

YFZ - weak power band, doubt it: basically it will kick the Z's butt in the power / torque capability stock and has way more HP potential for dollar spent in the aftermarket. IMO the YFZ will have a wide appeal as it comes, apart from no reverse, it a pretty good package / specification for aggresive Joe trail rider.

Will it replace the Raptor, nope, different buyers here, but it will likely hurt the LTZ sales for sure. Beats me who would even contemplate an EX purchase these days................

I certaintly hope Suzuki give it an engine upgrade from the factory, they have the know how to do a 436cc big bore or 450 stroker right now with minimal cost.

Kiwi

Old 06-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha's website says the new 450 does have reverse. Why do you guys keep acting like it doesn't?

Old 06-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yamaha's website says the new 450 does have reverse. Why do you guys keep acting like it doesn't?
Most of us in the Kawazuki forums haven't done any research on the YFZ450.So we really don't know if it has reverse or not. Do you know why we haven't done any research on the new YFZ450? Most of us are pretty happy with our Z's. Plain and simple. I think thats the general feeling in this forum. For $1500 bucks, you can make a Z every bit as good as the YFZ450 on the motocross track.
Thats how I feel. How do the rest of you guys that own Z's feel?

Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YFZ vs. Z?? Two totally different machines! I think it would take alot of cash to make the Z compete with the YFZ. The Z is a great "sport" quad and a good MX'er with the right amount of $$$$, and the YFZ comes ready for the track. That's JMO.......

Old 06-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I checked the website and I didn't see anything saying that it had reverse. Ridley you get your 450 yet. I'm just curious to hear what its like from someone on the forums and not a mag.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:00 AM
Trailblazer

Home dog, the website does not say it has reverse. It does not have reverse! In fact, if it did have reverse they would have had to completely redesign the cases which they didn't. they are the yz/wr cases, just slightly modified. I suggest you go back and read that again.
I checked the website and I didn't see anything saying that it had reverse.
Theres two guys that did their research on the YFZ450, I guess it doesn't have reverse! Thanks guys!

Old 06-26-2003, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer

The Z is a great "sport" quad and a good MX'er with the right amount of $$$$, and the YFZ comes ready for the track. That's JMO.
You can get a new Z for $5100 bucks around here, but a new YFZ is going to cost you around $7000. So your telling me that I can't make a Z with $1900 bucks just as good as a YFZ ? I'll take my chances with the Z and $1900 bucks!!!!!!!! PLUS I"LL HAVE REVERSE!!!!!!!!! For the money, the Z is STILL the best bang for the buck!

Old 06-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

The Z already hurt Raptor sales so badly that Yamaha now sells Raptors about $1000 cheaper then they were 2 years ago.
The new Yamaha 450 is 50 pounds lighter and probably makes 7-10 HP more then a Raptor, throw good handling into the mix and the Raptor looks like an old dinosaur these days. It’ll always have a cult following with the rich dunners but the Raptor sales will definitely be taking a big old nosedive.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

The Z is a good trail quad but I don't see it as a serious threat to YFZ sales. It will take some serious dough to bring a Z400 up to the level of a YFZ. Shocks, big-bore kit, etc, and it still will have 30lbs on a YFZ. Kind of like apples and oranges, but I might buy my girlfriend a Z400 so she has something mellow to ride. The 400EX isn't even being considered at this point.

And for the Z400 eating into Raptor sales? Well, probably not as much as you think it does. The Raptor is still a big-bore sport quad in 400cc clothing. Pipe, filter, and jet and the 660cc's come out to play. Yeah, it may be a little heavy, but not too bad compared to its competition, and with shocks, swing-arm, and a-arm upgrades it handles as good as any other sport quad.

I can't wait to get one of those YFZ450s, though, that thing should be awesome stock. First and second thing I will do is to get a slip-on exhaust and the GYT-R kickstart.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

If the YFZ450 really is a 350-pound MX bread quad with 40 HP at the wheels, and no mechanical issues come up by next spring I’d definitely consider a Z – YFZ swap.
But you’re absolutely right; one is a recreational use sport quad and the other looks to be a race quad. I just wish they had put reverse on it. It would probably only have added 6-7 pounds and been well worth it to us “Trail Racer”.

Quick Reply: will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?