Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?

Originally posted by: MegaCrash
If the YFZ450 really is a 350-pound MX bread quad with 40 HP at the wheels, and no mechanical issues come up by next spring I’d definitely consider a Z – YFZ swap. But you’re absolutely right; one is a recreational use sport quad and the other looks to be a race quad. I just wish they had put reverse on it. It would probably only have added 6-7 pounds and been well worth it to us “Trail Racer”.
With reverse out, it's something that you don't have too worry about breaking down. Reverse is an unnecessary luxury on a light quad.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: AlaskaYFM
The Z is a good trail quad but I don't see it as a serious threat to YFZ sales. It will take some serious dough to bring a Z400 up to the level of a YFZ. Shocks, big-bore kit, etc, and it still will have 30lbs on a YFZ. Kind of like apples and oranges, but I might buy my girlfriend a Z400 so she has something mellow to ride. The 400EX isn't even being considered at this point.

I think you have that backwards, well at least partially. The yfz hasn't even come out yet so instead of the suzuki being a threat to yfz sales then the yfz might be a threat to the z's sales. I mean no one has even got one yet, so it's seems hard to say that something is threatining it's sales when it hasn't even sold one yet (only preorders). I do agree with you about how much dough it takes to put the z were the yfz is just in it's stock form. It takes close to $2000 bucks to get the z motor in mid 40hp numbers and that isn't including the better shocks the yfz has and the 30lb weight difference. I still haven't heard an official hp number on the yfz so I'm just going with the assumption it's around 40hp or a little more. So it conceivably would cost a little more to put the z in the same category as the yfz, but myself I'd probably keep my z because probably half the people or more that have one are financing. So I would just mod my bike to make it at least close to the yfz and not have to worry about refinancing or trying to sell someone what I've already been paying on to go get a yfz. Also I don't consider the z a mellow bike at all, maybe compared to a modded banshee or something yes. There's not a whole lot of difference in giving someone a z and a raptor, a raptor does have a lot more cc's but it out drags a z in a 200yard race by about a half second and it tops out about 5mph more. That isn't a world of difference. No doubt your girlfriend will love it, but my wife is a very good rider and she thinks are z is, as she calls it (and me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) a beast. So I agree with you and I kind of disagree with you on a couple of points. Oh, and one more point and I'm not raggin on the z but the money to make one like a yfz is going to cost us quite a bit. Also there's the time and labor you've got to put in. Where as with the yfz it's already there and all you gotta do it put gas in her and jump on. I hope the z can continue to be competitive in mx and all the pros don't abandon it, which I don't think they will.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

A few people have started taking delivery of their YFZs, and I think that from what you said I partially agree-- the YFZ will steal sales from current customers considering the Z, yet people considering the YFZ may never consider a Z400 because of the dough it takes to make it perform. I think that we probably feel the same about the YFZ marketing.

I could get my gf a Raptor, but I already have one of those and I would like to have a Z to ride once in awhile, too... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2003, 01:51 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Mudslinger:
Stock for stock, no question the Z, the only drawback is that its a little taller in the seat, I don't notice it whrn riding, but you feel it siting on it. But the way they are sitting on the ground now, I like my ex. I have suspension and motor work done, thats why. I am not sad when I have to sepnd a day on the z at all.

Old 06-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Dang, Alaska I didn't know so many yfz's had hit the dealers yet. It must have been just the past couple of days, huh? I read I think JJ Homers post and he had his yfz at home and it was sweet. It looks wider than my z and to me it looks sturdier. I'd say you're right about guys who want a yfz won't consider something with less power like a z or ex. Can't say as I blame them, I would have waited for the yfz if my wife hadn't of said "you ain't giving more for a stupid four-wheeler than I did my car" and my z400 was a few hundred bucks less than her car and the yfz is a few hundred bucks more. Women don't seem to understand when you start quoting hp and torque numbers, they just see $$$ signs. The less the better to my wife.

Old 06-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the answer sandneck. I noticed that about my cousins stock ex it does sit a lot lower than my z. I think dirtwheels said they liked it more like that but I like the lower to the ground feel. Like my car I have a 300zx and that thing is almost touching the ground and I love it except it beats the crap out of you on a rougher country rode. Like you said you don't mind spending a day with the z if my wife had an ex I wouldn't care to ride it anytime. My brother is getting a 2000ex and he's already asked if I'll swap out with him sometimes and I said anytime. I was trying to get him to get a 250r just because I never get to ride a two-stoke anymore and he said he might if he can find one not to beat up.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

i thinki its doubtful 2 because the Z is prety fast stock already n i hear it kills 400exs and besides kawie has the kfx700 to compete wit the raptor n otha quads! honda better come out wit a 450 cuz the Zs kill the 400ex and thats their biggest and best sport quad they got!

Old 07-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer

Crashman44b,
Where's the gas money you promised me for the race at Hastings? I looked for you everywhere, no show? Check your PM's, I'm not happy about being lied to.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

The new Yami has yet to prove itself. Yeh it looks really sweet, but at a pretty high price. Even the first reviews have stated the it is a machine made for racing. Sweet when pushed hard, but not great and normal trail speeds...... Ok a lot of us are want to be racers, but the new Yami has a limited customer base. I still like that I can get my Z and have $2000+ to customize it and still be at the price of the Yami. That's a Z with a full exhaust, filter, Elkas, and A-Arms. For most of us....this upgraded Z will work as good if not better then a race bred stock Yami. This new 450 may be a great machine, but I don't know if it is the new quad god that everyone is waiting for!!!! Everyone calm down.....great new machines will continue to be introduced every year or so.......

By the way how many quads a year can be awarded "Quad of the Year"!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels like I've seen at least two or three this year.

P.S. Way to go Yami....keep the pressure on!!!!!!!

P.S.S Honda....Step up...Loosers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

CTracing has a 453 big bore kit for $1995 which, according to there dynos, puts the z at like 50+ hp, that's double stock, for the price of a yfz. The only question I have is how reliable is there kit, does anybody know?

Quick Reply: will suzuki come out with a 450 to compete with yamaha and honda?