Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:19 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Z400 Questions

Ok I have some questions on the Z400 cuz Im interested in purchasing one. I was originally gonna purchase a Polaris Predator 500 but Im kinda havin second thoughts on it, due to the way it sits and the fact there is no reverse.

Ok, Whats the top speed of the Z400 (stock)?

I heard the Z400 is a really good wheelie machine, but does this cause any problems while going up a hill or something? Like does the Z wanna flip back on you?

Ive heard with mods (pipe,rejet,filter) the Z starts becomming dangerous because it will raise up in every gear, Is this True?

Is the Z a good MX machine?

Is there any problems I should be aware of such as bugs or common failers?

And finally, is the Z400 04' model gonna be any different and or should I wait for any other sort of Model that might be better?

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:37 PM
jt
Range Rover
Default Z400 Questions

mx racing: i don't see why not ...tim farr and all those guys like them...if you've got the cash to mod it out, it'll be awesome...for stock form though, it doesn't do all that bad.

problems: i wouldn't worry about the frame problems or the axle breakage....unless you like jumping 50 feet in the air...no stock bike could take that. my only complaint is the plastic..mine is really loose now...suzuki uses snap rivets and they hold but eventually start stretching...maier is the solution to that.

04' : the only difference i'm aware of is new graphics and a more aggressive sounding muffler that's it...same price, etc.

the goods definately outweigh the bads so go ahead and get it..you won't be sorry. i'd buy the same bike if i had a chance to do it all over again......have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 Questions

with my pipe on i can ride wheelies up into 5 gear and it poses no problems on hills and it has pretty good low end now!!! Yes, it can become a problem if you mod it all to he!! and dont re-gear. Pretty good MX quad but the stock tires roll a little to much for my taste. the chain adjustment is a little wacky but you'll get it after a few tries. If you need reverse there is no machein that would be better in stock form. but thats just my 2 cents

Old 07-10-2003 | 12:53 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Z400 Questions

So would it be a good idea to get the Z400 over the Predator? Im going to be a beginning sportquad rider and Im gonna have to learn how to shift and all that good stuff. On my other quads I like to wheelie, Jump, Race, and trail ride. So would this be the quad for me?

Old 07-10-2003 | 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 Questions

Originally posted by: Sixxx
So would it be a good idea to get the Z400 over the Predator? Im going to be a beginning sportquad rider and Im gonna have to learn how to shift and all that good stuff. On my other quads I like to wheelie, Jump, Race, and trail ride. So would this be the quad for me?
The predator is a good quad if you don't need reverse. The z is a great bike, I love mine. Not the fastest stock bike by far but they mod up real good. They will wheelie up a hill if you don't go up in the right gear of if you're on the hill and you shift down a gear and gun the gas. I go up steep not so long hills in second gear wide open with the rpm's high and don't let off until I'm at the top. You asked about newer model quads coming out. Well the yfz is here and I think it has awesome potential. I've heard it'll beat highly modded z's and then I've heard z's with a pipe can hang with it. So there are some controversy over the stock power but I've seen videos of it kicking butte. It doesn't have reverse neither but it's the best mx ready bike you'll get for at least another year or more depending on when honda comes out with one and if it is actually better than the yfz. Used cannondale's are also good track bikes and are race ready. They just stopped making them this year so you could get a fairly new one, peace.

Old 07-10-2003 | 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 Questions

I totally agree with everyone here. I love my Z, and won't trade it for anything. This is my first quad. I've own bikes, and ridden friends' quads, but this is my first. I think if I had waited and bought a yfz I would have killed myself with all that power. In fact my stock Z will surprize me once in a while if I'm not careful. It is definitely a powerful trail quad that can hang on the track with much bigger dogs for a lot less green. JMO

Oh yeah, top speed is pushing 70mph.

Old 07-10-2003 | 02:39 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Z400 Questions

Ya I think that would be more that enough power even for occasional drag racing. I mean I know the Predator is faster and all but Im not just looking for speed right now. Im looking for an all around dependable quad. Plus I love doin jumps and wheelies hehehe

Old 07-10-2003 | 03:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 Questions

Sixx, I have both - the Predator and the Z. Both are great quads. I am more of a speed fanatic and ride some places where every cc can count. I rarely use reverse for anything, so for my riding style, I prefer the Predator for all out power/speed. On the other hand, I would recommend the Z for more "general" riding. A good rider on a Z can keep up fairly well with any of the larger CC machines (Predator, Raptor, DS, etc.) unless you're doing an all-out straight line race. As far a jumping the Z, It feels light and manuverable in the air, and performs well on small to mid sized flights. As mentioned, if you want to build up the Z, its great - there are alot of mods already available, BUT you will have to put some money into it to get the HP you'd get out of a Pred or Raptor.

As far as suspension goes, the Z is fitted with a generally good, all around suspension, but it is not race-ready, multi-adjustable like the Predator's Fox shocks.

One issue with the Z to be aware of is some aggressive riders have experienced frame cracks around the upper shock mounts. If you are planning on taking huge jumps or dishing out major abuse, the Z can take it with frame modifications (enhanced welds).

Since you mentioned being a beginning sport quad rider, I'd lean towards the Z400. Everyone I know who rides it, really likes it. It's also a good platform to build off of with future mods.

Old 07-10-2003 | 03:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 Questions

I'd worry about the axle if you get one, I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I bent mine. Not much but it was noticibly bent. I have not jumped more than 3 ft. high with my quad, I am still breaking it in. No problem with the frame at all yet. The dealer is taking care of me though. They are ordering me a new lonestar axle in place of the suzuki axle, and I only have to pay the differance in cost of the 2 which is no more than $30. So that worked out pretty good I guess.

chuck

Old 07-10-2003 | 10:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Z400 Questions

You might wanna check things out... Aftermarket axles are usually less than stock. But that's a stealer for you. I'm sure he took the difference of HIS cost for the axle vs. full MSRP for the Lonestar.

Quick Reply: Z400 Questions