Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Split casses

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split casses

I was wondering if there was a way to split your own casses on a 1989l t 250r and if so how do u do it and what tools are needed? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Range Rover
Default Split casses

A manual is your best tool. Other then that you will need and flywheel puller and a strap wrench. The rest are just normal shop tools. It is really easy, just take your time and read the shop manual. Some of the bolts are reverse threads. If you run in to a problem ask us in this forum before you force it, it will save you money. Good luck, you will learn a ton.... Do a search on this site for case splitting and there is a ton of info. Just dont pry your case apart!!!!! Take it apart and then start asking questions.
Good Luck

Old 07-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Split casses

I just wanted to say thank you for the reply it is really helpfull info.. well thanks again...

Old 07-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Split casses

Additional info:

Check out my thread above concerning lt-a500f transmission.

I agree with prior comments that a manual is a must have to do this. Do not even attempt it without it.

An impact wrench is also invaluable, as there are bolts that you simply won't get off without it, or will have a very hard time at.

Another tip I will give you from having torn down many motors is bag and tag EVERYTHING. Screws, nuts, bolts - everything.

Here is a tip for you. When I remove bolts such as the bolts that hold a V-belt cover on, what I do is take a piece of cardboard, a shoe box lid works great, and draw the part on it. I then draw circles where each bolt goes, and poke a hole in each circle. As I remove each bolt, I stick it in its corresponding hole in the cardboard.

You'd be amazed at how much time this will save you upon reassembly because inevitably of 10 bolts, 8 will be a different length or size.

When you get everything unbolted, never, EVER use a screwdriver (as appealing as that may seem) to pry the cases apart. You will scratch or worse crack the aluminum on the cases and then you are screwed. A few gentle taps with a rubber mallet is all you need.

Use Hondabond to reseal the cases when you are done, its the best stuff out there for metal to metal bonding (clean surfaces thoroughly!).

Hope this helps.