Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zilla fuel mix??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zilla fuel mix??

I use amsoil at 50:1, with 1 gallon of turbo blue 110 octane per 4 gal of premium unleaded. Runs clean and plug color is right on after doing a plug chop..

Could I still be starving my big bore on oil?? too lean or ok?

I've had this quad for a short time. Prev. owner had it 10 years and says he never had top end torn down. As far as I know porting, reed cage, and carb is stock. It came with a FMF pipe, turbine core sparky. I removed air box lid. The thing really runs well on this mix, however I would like to hear what has preserved other Zillas over the ages..

Keep them Zilla's rippin!!

Old 11-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Zilla fuel mix??

I'm no expert, but I've owned two '87 Quadzillas, and the experience I had with 50:1 wasn't a good one.

I was using Bel-Ray MC-1 premium synthetic two-stroke oil (which is specifically formulated to be run at 50:1, says so right on the bottle) when I had a connecting rod bearing failure (the bearing where the connecting rod meets the crank pin). The quad was only on it's fourth tank of gas after a top-end rebuild and break-in. I was not happy. Maybe it was the fault of the oil, maybe it was something that I did/didn't do...who knows, but I quit running Bel-Ray oil altogether.

The factory service manual says to run a pre-mix ratio of 20:1 (that's one pint of oil for every 2.5 gallons of gas). Since I would prefer not to run such an oil rich mix (fouls plugs, contributes to heavy carbon deposits which can cause overheating), I switched to Mobil1 MX2T which is a full synthetic oil (much like the Bel-Ray MC-1) and ran a pre-mix ratio of 32:1

The Quadzilla (after rebuilding it...again) loved this mix. The oil is synthetic, so it can handle higher dilution ratios and still provide great lubrication, but even if you choose to mix it at 20:1, it doesn't seem to produce any significant carbon deposits. And it just plain smells good. Ahhhhh, I love the smell of two stroke exhaust.

I never ran 100+ octane fuel in my Quadzilla...In my humble opinion, unless your compression ratio requires a higher octane gas (such as milled heads or small dome aftermarket heads), ~93 octane runs just fine and saves you a few dollars too. My Quadzilla ran a stock head, not milled/shaved, so 93 octane did the job.

Basically, run whatever fuel you think works the best for your engine, but seriously consider the consequences of a 50:1 mix...with any oil.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

Hey again freak,

It's my opinion that 32:1 with Amsoil series 2000 and higher octane fuel is the only way to go.
The oil mfgr recommends 50:1, but for the large bore motor... it's just not enough oil to be reliable, even though the ams is great stuff...
The 20:1 recommended by suzuki was for the older dino oils back in the day.... If your running dino oil, I'd stick with the 20:1... but who is?

The higher octane fuel is 'typically' a waste on stock motors... the zill being the exception. These motors are prone to detonation (Preignition) even in stock form. Higher octane fuels decrease or eliminate detonation and serve NO other purpose... None.
When the compression is raised, detonation becomes an even bigger problem (Harder to manage)
Detonation = Kaboom!!!
The way I look at it.... it's cheap (Well sort of) insurance for your precious antique.

Deathmerchant.... I've experienced similar results with MC-1.... I don't believe it was the mix ratios nearly as much as the oil itself... Just my $.02

Old 11-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

so should I have a gas can for my zilla and one for the 250R ??

Zilla - all 110 octane w/amsoil 32:1

250R - 1 gal 110, 4 gal. premium w/amsiol 50:1 ????

I would really like to run same gas in both. I can mix 2 different cans if that would be a good idea. Its not like the R is getting any wide open time. My girl friend is just learning to ride and shifts " before it goes fast " . with that mix we've had really good luck. Even stopped stashing plugs and wrench in my boot. Theese bikes just run really good now, and I want to do whats best for them to keep them that way. ya know what I mean.......

Two cans or one??

thanks for the .02

Old 11-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

well, you certainly can run the same fuel in both... but your wasting your $$ putting that high octane fuel in the Honda.
I run the same in both my machines, but my honda has higher compression than my LT does....

Keep in mind, that any ratio change is going to require some jetting work (Yep, pain in the butt... but it's worth it) A properly tuned motor doesn't foul plugs... I change plugs once/year just because it makes me feel better.

Regards,

Old 11-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

50:1 Amsoil all summer and no problems.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

How drastically will the 32:1 change jetting ?? I shouldnt really worry about getting it right for this weekend . I'm thinking about putting a 39mm power jet carb and V-force reed cage from Tudors b4 spring any way.. may ship entire motor and have it gone through, case inserts and stuff. Just depends on fundage...

If I can get away with bumping the clip up a knotch or so that would be cool. the weather is about 30-35 degrees colder than the last ride, So I may not need to re-jet with 32:1 until summer time. Only one way to find out eh?

most of the time race gas is easy to get at a few local gas stations

The 250R has a cool head w/21cc dome, thick 3 plate gasket. If I decide to go all same mix I'll use a CR head gasket to bump up the squish and burn it.

thanks for your replys,
Freak

Old 11-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

Originally posted by: 2StrOkeFReaK
How drastically will the 32:1 change jetting ?? I shouldnt really worry about getting it right for this weekend . I'm thinking about putting a 39mm power jet carb and V-force reed cage from Tudors b4 spring any way.. may ship entire motor and have it gone through, case inserts and stuff. Just depends on fundage...

If I can get away with bumping the clip up a knotch or so that would be cool. the weather is about 30-35 degrees colder than the last ride, So I may not need to re-jet with 32:1 until summer time. Only one way to find out eh?
The change might be fairly drastic... be careful!!! IT may be way too lean!! I'd toss a bigger main in just to be safe, mebbe two steps... only takes a few minutes to change the jet... And the cooler air could mess with ya too! The best way is to have an Air Density meter, and jet according to the readings.... Because humidity, temp, and elevation are all key players.

Also, My carb advice would be: Use nothing smaller than a taper bored PWK at 41.5mm... the throttle response is awesome from these carbs, and the larger diameter helps it breathe a little better... I would use nothing smaller!
The V-farce reeds are a waste! Get a decent set of stock reeds for the stock reed cage or a set of TDR carbons for the stock cage and run it! The '87 has plenty of flow capability... Spend your $$ more wisely elsewhere.

I can also offer advice on the case inserts, machine work, etc... I wouldn't let a 'puppy' shop touch my motor ever again!!!!

Old 11-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla fuel mix??

Well, I emptied the tank,filled it w/110 @ 32:1 . swapped the 460 main jet to 480 . Took a quick shot down the street after it warmed up, it ran great! I'll do a plug chop tomorrow to be sure, but I think it will be right on.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll let you know how it went.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Zilla fuel mix??

i was running bel-ray mc-1 at 50:1, but just switched to amsoil at 50:1 (cheaper). i ran the belray for 3 years w/no problems. but if i was doing it again, i wouldnt touch the stuff. amsoil seems to be way better. i think i will actually switch to the better amsoil (pro sumthin or other)
i always foul plugs, thought it was a jetting problem. sure was/is. found the clip loose on the needle, and it was moving all over [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. but i fixed it, and am not worried about it. i need to replace the carb. anyway due to the 87 model year issue's.
BTW. someone mentioned they were running a 480 main. mine has a 400, and my budd'y '90 has a 350. we have both done plug chops and they are a little to the rich side, but run jusat fine. odd, huh?
oh well, better shut-up and go find sumthin to leaRN [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
aaron

Quick Reply: Zilla fuel mix??