Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2000 quadmaster 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just took a 60 mile test drive on the new quadmaster. There was many things I liked and some I didn't like. The most impressive feature was low end torque....wow, it sure pulls stronger than my sportsman. The belt drive system is far superior to the polaris. There is absolutely no belt lag with upshifts or downshifts, It feels like a gear driven system. The engine braking sytem also works excellent slowing all four wheels instead of just the rear two wheels that frequently skids thae back end.
On the downside; the suzuki's seat is far too short. I find I ride on the back rack instead of the seat. The suspension is also something to be desired. It is defintely tuned for work rather than play. After sixty miles of riding I could barely walk.
I really like theis quad..it was nimble and powerful but at the end of the day, I'll have to keep my sportsman with true 4 wheel drive and a beautiful suspension. i hope the new 500 Honda ride sbetter than the suzuki.

Old 10-14-1999, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

What was it about the suspension that you didn't like? I was thinking about getting one of the quadmasters this spring. Other then that it sounds like it is a very strong quad. That is what I am looking for. THANKS for the input.

Old 10-14-1999, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Dave, I hust found the ride to be quite choppy on short bumps. The first 30 miles were not too bad but after that my butt really started to hurt. This is also attributed to the short seat. The motor pulls very strong, the belt drive is flawless; it's just the poor ride, clearance and limited slip front end that doesn't work all that great.

Old 10-14-1999, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lyle1, thanks for sharing your riding impressions with the new Suzuki.

Please tell also, what specific experience happened with the Quadmaster's limited-slip front end? For example, did the differential malfunction, leaving you stuck?

Tree Farmer

Old 10-15-1999, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

It's not that the limited slip failed, it's just that it does not completely lock up the front two tires. The Honda for example transfers power to the wheel with the lest resistance immediately therefore you have only a two wheel drive when one tire is off the ground.
On the suzuki, it works much the same way except it will transfer power to both front wheels under ligh duty pulling, but as soon as you put it under heavy load such as deep mud, one tire will spin and the other is stationary. The polaris system is a demand system that when the back tires start to spin the front wheel engage locking all four tires spinning which gives far superior traction in all conditions. On the downside, I believe it is more prone for failure. I have ridden extensively the honda 450es the suzuki quadmaster 500 and the grizzly; nothing will go through the mud or hillclimb like a polaris. The combination of automatic transmission, high ground clearance, and true 4 wheel drive will propel the polaris past All other quads. Now on the downside, I don't believe the quality or durability of the polaris to be on par with the honda or suzuki.....but I guess that is the price I have to pay for the extra
for the extra capabilities.

Old 10-18-1999, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you tested the arctic cat? Its the same engine and drive train as the Suzuki, but a hell of alot plusher ride. For comfort wise a would have to put the AC 500 right up there with the Sportsman 500 if not a little better. If you have a chance stop in at you local dealer and take it for a test drive.

Old 10-18-1999, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tattymatty,A 500cc 4x4 AC gives a better ride[comfort] than the 500 Sportsman?No way.The AC steers WAY harder than the Sportsman.Take both on a trail ride some time,you'll think you just got done lifting weights with the AC.Thats not to say I dislike the AC.I just dont feel like the rides even come close with these two models.Im going to be buying a new 4x4 some time soon and was concidering the mighty 500cc AC 4x4 until I road one.I trail ride alot,and would get tired quickly on the AC.Happy trails------BILL

Old 10-20-1999, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

lyle1, I could use your input since you have done what i can't seem to get anyone to let me do,and that's test drive a 2000 quadmaster on any terrain other than a dealer parking lot. Two of my brothers have '99 lt500's and one has '98 450 es. Each one loves their machines, but i really want an automatic. I'm ready to buy but am in big indecision, and salespeople are no help. I really like the lt 500's torque and tight manuverability, and I don't mind the rougher ride. We all do relatively slower speed rides, in wooded areas, hills, tree/rock jumpin etc. A buddy just bought a 99 500 sportsmen and i got a chance to ride it and was impressed with everything but the automatic. It seemed that hi range was to hi for where we ride. Cross a log or big rock in hi and you got the "slingshot effect" and just about an endo. Performed well in lo but was too slow overall. Riding with 6 or 8 guys all following each other you don't have time to stop and shift from lo to hi. There are areas of open field in between the woods we run, and naturally everyone gets throttle heavy and leaves that sportsmen in the dust while he's stopping to change ranges. Want to know if I'm barkin up the wrong tree with an automatic or is the Suzuki's belt that much better than the polaris. Did you happen to experience the "slingshot" effect on your ride with the quadmaster? Finally do you think the suzuki in hi range will lag like the polaris does in hi over logs, rocks, and be too hi for the slow tight terrain. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-1999, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Atv Magazine tested the Quad Master. They said it had way less lag time than any other auto on the market, they even said it had throttle respose compareable to an auto clutch quad.

Old 10-21-1999, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info Boner. will look that article up.

Quick Reply: 2000 quadmaster 500