Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Jets on a LT250R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1999, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering buying an aftermarket pipe and silencer for my 1988 LT250R. The only thing stopping me is the Jetting aspect of adding a higher performance pipe. How would I go about jetting my carb after I have installed the pipe? I know the mixture would need to be more rich, but how much? I have been told a number of different things to consider and this is all confusing me. Any suggestions on pipes? i am considering a CT or an LRD. Any replies would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 11-03-1999, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you already own the ATV, you should invest in several jets, even bofore thinking about adding the pipes. First, you need to find out what jet size you need for running at your normal riding area. Then, buy several sizes above and below that so that when you go to a new riding area, you have the equiptment on hand to keep your ATV running properly. If your adding pipes, you'll need to go up on the jetting. How much is impossible to guess, anyone who tries, is talking out of thier buttox. If you do end up buying several jets, (Yes, contrary to popular belief owning and maintaining an ATV is NOT cheap!) you'll have no problems because you'll have the equiptment on hand to get yourt bike running properly every time. I personally have about 10 different jets for each of my ATV's - and I need more. If you do add a new pipe to your ATV, also be sure to change the needle. This is just as important as changing the main jet. The needle luckily, is a free change. All you have to do, is disassemble the carb properly, change the position of a clip up or down the needle and boom your done, no parts to buy. Even if you don't buy the pipe, be sure to get some jets and check your jetting to make sure it's right. It can get expensive to not have the main jet or the needle properly adjusted. Oh, and if you do get a pipe be sure they send you the ring that goes between the engine and the pipe, without that ring, your pipe will leak nasty gooey sludge, which in turn will let cold air into your engine, setting you up for a breakdown. I get all of my 2-stroke engine work done at CT and their service is top notch. The Mechanics there know what they are talking about and are much more experienced than your -average- Motorcycle shop mechanic. I'm sure these guys build a premium pipe, but the price is just as premium.

------------------
-Chris Olson "The Black Hawk" 1990 CT LT250R, 1987 Mojave Green&Mean I'm always 100% right so don't even ask :P