Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quad for girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for girlfriend?

Is there any specific reason why she wont use a clutch? They are very, very easy to learn in fact 10 mins and she should be good to go. Like I said before, its going to be almost impossible to find a quad with an auto clutch less than 3000 thats in any decent shape. If you can get her into a manual clutch then a blaster is going to be the best buy. I have seen them easily under 2000 in many newspapers in california and on ebay. Good look

Old 01-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

dont get a trailblazer, its like driving an electric quad, NO acceleration, NO power and its overall just a boring quad to ride, thats just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave my wife my Yamaha Warrior just a few months ago, and bought myself a bike. She couldn't drive a stick to save her life before that. I took her to some sand, with the stock knobbies on so she wouldn't kill it all the time, which she tried to do anyway, and learned how to drive a manual in just a few hours.

I don't think I'd let her learn on a Rappy though, my wife would have killed herself dumping the clutch like she did, but the soft sand and virtually bald tires made life a lot easier on her. Oh yea, and make sure you adjust the clutch for small hands, that was her biggest problem. I had the clutch set up for my 9 inch grip, and she was at the full extent of her grip just as the clutch started to engage. Once I adjusted it for her, she loved it.

If worse came to worst, I just saw an automatic clutch on Alba's website for like $800 or something like that. Apparently you can convert ANY engine from manual to semi-auto!

If you do decide to go with a manual clutch setup, I'd highly recommend a four stroke. Learning to use a clutch on a two stroke is like trying to write cursive with your foot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

I see quite a few good deals on Blasters, but I think she'd be better off with a 4-stroke. I don't know, I just need to make her try out a few and see what she likes. Although she is about the most indecisive person I have ever met. She'll be like I don't know, I guess it was OK. Then I'll think why did I ever start this. Man women are exspensive.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would she be having to kick start the bike all the time? I have done a little training with my wife and the ol LT250R. SHe has virtually no clutch experience and did just fine with the 2 stroke. Our biggest problem is that she isn't really up to kickin' her to life. Gets pretty tedious the first day kick starting a bike while you aren't even on it. I think a slightly older 250EX or Lakota may be your best bet.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scooter that is a good point about the kick starting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. However, I have a family member with a lt250 they just bought for 1800 that kicked so easy it wasnt funny. I think that it never took more than 2. If you can get a decent bike, then the kick start really shouldnt be that bad. I know that four strokes are nice but there is nothing wrong with a two stroke. Mixing gas shouldnt be any sort of concern, its not rocket science to do. They are not a beast to handle and other than the kick start, they are just as nice as a four stroke.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

It all comes down to her having a good time, and wanting to go get dirty..

We have 3 girls on Warriors in our group, and two more warriors in the family. The girls love riding them,
they can keep up on the trails, electric start, reverse, no baby sitting, what more could you want.

About the only money you will spend on a warrior is getting the quad it's self, gas and oil. Our 1990
Is still bone stock other than battery, chain and sprockets. Lots of people have learned how to ride on it, lots of
people have beaten it hard, still on orig clutch. no problems(knock wood) great recreational quad. Dont be
afraid to look at an older one

My girlfriend rides my 250R, she hates kicking it, but she does it. She rode a Z400 and was giggling the whole
time. She just likes the Z more. Now were lookin for one of those.

If you got a rappy she should have somthin cool too. Besides your rapp could break on a friday, you dont
want to ride a 250auto kids quad on saturday!

Old 01-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thor, my bike starts pretty easy, I can even "kick" it by hand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], My wife just isn't up to doing it 100 times while she masters the clucth. FarmStud, I was also thinking that a Warrior(as mentioned above) or 300EX might be a good way to go if your girl can get into the whole clutch thing. Both of those bikes would do a better job keeping up with a Raptor on the trails also.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point earlier was that four strokes are torqier. This helps significantly for reducing low speed stalling. I would even recommend investing some money in a heavy flywheel regardless of what you buy. I guarantee it will stall a LOT less. I'm pretty sure you can pick them up for under a hundred bucks.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 250ex would be my first choice and the Z250 would be my second.

This actually gives you an opportunity to get something you'd like as a second quad. Does she go with you everytime you go? Maybe you'd like a 4x4 utility as a second quad. This would also open up your choices to more semi-autos and autos.

Does she want her own quad to ride? She may enjoy riding with you as "together time". She may not have as much fun playing "catch up" to you and the Raptor. -Just a thought.

Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: Quad for girlfriend?