Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt500 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt500 shifting problem

I have a 88 quadzilla that jumps out of 4th gear and won't go into 5th. I was hoping somone may have some ideas before I tear into it. 1st thru 3rd work fine. I have been noticing more oil than usual from the trans breather tube but it could be because of the cold weather possibly. I have been riding alot in the snow lately which is probably not to easy on the engine and tranny but a lot of fun! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Im guessing u have checked the usual stuff like clutch adjustment. Other than that, you will most likely have to go into the engine to remedy it. Probably a bent shifter fork, and possiably some of the gears are not grabbing like they should be.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the case. I was hoping someone had the same symptoms with a warn gearshift cam or pawl. It looks like you got a good start on your zilla. Have fun with that

Old 01-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Range Rover

I sounds like you bent your shift forks. Oh well gives you an excuse to do some more work in side the engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

I dunno. I tore it down and the clutch is definatly toast but the tranny seems fine. I checked everthing per shop manual specs. could a bad clutch cause it to pop out of 4th gear and seem like 5th is neutral. I hate to button it back together and have the same problem but would rather not replace expensive good parts.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

that happened with my buddie's warrior and i belive it was cause the engine was moving from a missing motor mount bolt. He had the same exact problem. Am i making sense guys? Ill get the whole story from him he only mentioned it quickly

Old 01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened with my buddie's warrior and i belive it was cause the engine was moving from a missing motor mount bolt. He had the same exact problem. Am i making sense guys? Ill get the whole story from him he only mentioned it quickly
It was probably pulling on the clutch cable
I tore it down and the clutch is definatly toast but the tranny seems fine. I checked everthing per shop manual specs. could a bad clutch cause it to pop out of 4th gear and seem like 5th is neutral. I hate to button it back together and have the same problem but would rather not replace expensive good parts.
If your clutch slips it will do it in ALL the gears. If it's actually popping out of fourth it wouldn't be cause by the clutch. Sounds more like the shift fork that controls those gears is bent. Are you sure the tran is OK? Sometimes tran damage can be pretty subtle. You will probably see a slight mark or groove corresponding to the round part of the fork, that means the fork is definitely bent. You should also see some evidence of the dogs grinding in the particular gears that engage when you go from fourth to fifth.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Any wear on the engagement dogs or the recess's they go into will cause that problem in a Zilla. If they are rounded at all they need replaced.

Also, the shift pawl and spring should be replaced anytime you split the cases as good insurance.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

not it wasnt pulling on the clutch cable I know that. It was somthing about one part being stationary and the other not so it would slip between gears or somthing I havent been able to talk to my friend yet ill let you know when I find out for sure. it only happened to him in 5th and 6th gear

Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I'm obviosly missing somthing I found debris from a ground up spacer in tranny but the shift fork must be bent. It looks like time to make a parts list and go shopping. My quad has been so reliable for so long I guess I'm due. I am replacing the output shaft because the threads are getting bad. Would you replace the gears too or just the forks,spacers,clips, and seals.

Quick Reply: lt500 shifting problem