Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Keihnan Jets in a Mukuni carb??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keihnan Jets in a Mukuni carb??

Hi All

Been trying to jet my Z400 after switching to a K&N air filter and taking the lid off, but have been having a real hard time gettting the proper jets. I was told at one dealer (after they sold me Mukuni hex jets) that the jets that i took off the machine (the stock jets) are Keihnan, so I bought some Keihnan jets but the hole size in the 160 jet is smaller than the 130 stock jet. Anyone else have this type of problem? And any suggestions on vendors in the Salt Lake City / Vegas area that would have the proper jets (preferably in stock at the end of the week)

Thanks

SuzukiZ400Girl

Old 01-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you have a Keihin carb you can't run Mikuni jets. As you probably notice, Keihins are longer than Mikunis, and on a different measuring scale. a 150 Keihin is close to, oh say, a 250/260 Mikuni. Anyways, if you are having a problem with a 130 keihin jet being larger than a 160 keihin, then thats odd. Never seen that one. Most shops carry a wide selection of jets, and they are usualy readily available. Just take your jet in with you and compare sizes.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some Mikuni jets (round flat blade type) DO fit in Keihin carbs. You are right tho Slacker, the calibration is different. The jets included in Dyno Jet kits (and I am in NO way recommending them) for Keihins actually use the Mikuni number for calibration, and are the same jets they include in their Mikuni kits (at least they were last time I installed one). This simple fact has caused a lot of confusion. As for your question Suzuki Girl, if the 160 is visibly smaller than the 130, there's definitely something wrong with ONE of the two jets. Anyway, a good mfg's jet is calibrated so exactly, it would be very difficult to see one jet size by eye, much less actually jet one that way (by eye). I suggest you try again at a knowledgable dealership, Honda and Kaw both use Keihin carbs so they might be worth a try. If possible I would get OE Keihin jets, I don't think the aftermarket knock-offs are calibrated as accurately. And you need that precision. One jet size off can turn a lion into a pooch.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have always avoided jet kits. I think they are a waste of money. Aslo, if the keihin based dyno jets use a mikuni sizing standard, then I am even more glad I have never bought a kit. I dont get it, a jet kit is like $50, and a single jet is $5, and most jets wont be used. Oh well.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

I tend to agree with you slackerbob, but sometimes people insist on them based on what somebody else tells them. The jet kits DO include new slide needles though, and sometimes slide springs as well, and if you price Keihin jet needles, the cost of the kits is legitimate.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have always ran the stock needle and never had complaints. They only control the mid throttle, and at least for me, I am usualy wide open in the desert, or racing up hills. Most novice to intermediate riders wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the stock needle and one from a kit.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suzuki Z400 has a Mikuni carb... it will not use Keihin jets.. Go to the suzuki dealership and get parts from them.. They will have what you need..

These jets use different numbering systems so the numbers mean nothing in comparison....

Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, sorry for the mistake, I assumed from zgirls post they came with Keihins.