Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt 500 sand drags

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 500 sand drags

WHat is a good carb setup and reed cage for a mildly ported lt 500. All it will be used for is 300 ft sand dragging. Thans for any input!

Old 01-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

i think 40-42 ml is generaly recommended for the carb even for a stock motor, as for the reed cage many people consider the stock cage and reeds to be as good as anything, but a 3/8ths spacer is usefull,

if your wanting to get technical with your zilla motor you wont find anywhere better than macdizzy.com, unfortunatly no longer an open forum but well worth the subscription if your seriouse about engine work,

read the DrQ rx motor thread and take it from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Well said UK... I see you've studied up the Docs Rx... He's a wizard that's for sure!
Too bad Rick (MacDizzy) didn't see fit to use a sponsor versus charging admission... Many folks with great talent will no longer be there as a result (Myself included... not saying that I have much talent) LoL!
Not to mention the fact that many folks will miss out on the valuable information that has exchanged there for years.

PF: A taperbored (Protaper) Keihin PWK (41.5mm) has awesome throttle response.
For all out HP gains (Probably more-so for a heavily ported machine) a VM44 bored to 45.5mm will produce the most HP.... sacrificing a little throttle response.
The stock reeds/cage are optimal, and not the dual stage *crap* either.. As UK said, use a Spacer to unblock the boost ports, cut back the stops 3mm, and spread them until the cage barely fits into the cylinder...

What pipe you running? Pipes make a HUGE difference on performance on these machines... Many aftermarket pipes are pathetic... be careful.
Good luck!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure on the pipe, I need to take a picture of it and let you guys see it so maybe you can tell me what it is.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Where is a good place to get a spacer?

Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Could you also tell me a good place to get a carb for it. I'm trying to help a buddy out with it and don't really know a good place to get parts from.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah i have been reading up and have taken the plunge, the zillas at the shop having the RX job done on the engine, and all the fixes, just need to find out the size of the crank case inserts,

Old 01-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: POLARISFREAK
Could you also tell me a good place to get a carb for it. I'm trying to help a buddy out with it and don't really know a good place to get parts from.

LRD is where I got my 41.5, but almost everyone gets thier carbs from SUDCO, so you may wanna check with them. I am probably going to sell my 41.5 and get a 44.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

gas or alk

Old 01-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UKzilla
Yeah i have been reading up and have taken the plunge, the zillas at the shop having the RX job done on the engine, and all the fixes, just need to find out the size of the crank case inserts,
I've built one Rx motor already.... HUGE difference over what I once thought was heavily modified!!!
I'm working with the Doc on a 'sleeper' motor in the 90-100 HP ballpark (No alky or NOS) but it's heavy on the $$$$ commitment.

Be careful on the case inserts.... IT's not a job for just anyone. I pulled a motor apart last week that had the inserts done by ???? and the case was butchered up pretty badly, and had started to crack around where it was machined for the insert... pretty much junk at that point.

PF: I'd try Sudco... or any of the 'puppy' shops can bend you over... uum, I-mean sell you one.
On the spacer??? There was a guy on FleaBay selling them not long ago for a decent price, but they were .5" thick (Thicker than needed)

Good luck!

Quick Reply: lt 500 sand drags