Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quads Don't Float

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 02:04 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well on Sunday, my friends and I went for a ride. I have the '00 Quadrunner, and have 300 Km\200 miles on it.
It was really cold on this ride, -19 Deg. Celcius or -4 Fahrenheit. We drove for an hour to get to the area that we were going to ride, so the machines were frozen by the time we got there.
The day started bad and then got worse. First of all, it was so cold, my Quad would'nt start. We could smell the gas at the pipe, but it would'nt catch. One good thing about the Suzuki is the battery is strong, it kept going even though the oil was like molasses. Finally, we tryed turning the fuel from ON to PRI, and it fired up with two try's.
After it warmed up, it ran great. I was a little cold, but after throwing the machine around on the snow and ice, I warmed up pretty quick.( Thank God for heated hand grips. )
In the afternoon, we were riding in an open area with a winding creek about 12 to 14 feet wide. It was frozen, so it was fun spinning around, and following the creek in four wheel drive. I was the guy in front, as always, got to be the fastest.. Idiot...Anyway, I was watching in front of the Quad, instead of were I was going, and all of a sudden... CRACK...the ice broke, and down I went. I had to think fast, 'cause it was going down in a hurry, so I stood on the seat to see how far it would sink. My first thought was shut it off before it submerges and drinks the water, but luckily, it stopped.
The front end was completely under water, including the engine. The back left tire, the seat, and the snorkel was above the water line, and it was still running !!!
I hopped off and flagged down the other guys that were behind me. They pulled up, on the bank of the creek and unspooled the winches. The only thing we could hook on to, was the back rack, so we pulled the Quad sideways toward the bank. The one left back tire came up on top of the ice, but the right tire was hooked under.
It was still running at that point, but the water was so freakin cold that it cooled the engine down til it stalled. We reached over, put the choke on, and it started again.
At that time I was standing at the back of the Quad, and guess what ? The ice broke and in I went, up to my butt...Winter boots are great for keeping your feet warm, but they soak up water like a sponge.
We hooked the other winch onto the front rack
an pulled it over until the back right tire came up from under the ice. We put the Quad into reverse, pulled with the back winch, and drove it out!!
Well, nothing broke, the Quad runs fine, but I froze my a$$ off, and learned one hell of a lesson.

Old 01-05-2000, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that lesson, let someone else lead on a frozen river?! hehe

Old 01-05-2000, 11:27 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, thats the one I meant. LOL