Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

action racing or burgard arms..?which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default action racing or burgard arms..?which one?

well, u seem to know your lt's. which one would u go for burgard or action??

Old 02-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

The LT 250's have a crappy shock leverage ratio in factory form. The wide frame in front and short a-arms create this situation. If you get wider a-arms, and the shocks are in the factory location (as measured from the frame to the a-arm shock mount) this bad ratio gets worse. The shock mounts on the lower a-arm need to be moved farther out to help correct this.

That also requires for you to get a longer shock but then you can run less stiff of a spring rate, the shock travels further doing a given amount of work so the valving doesn't need to be as radical, and your overall performance of the front suspension will be smoother.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm not sure. Action Racing look like they make a pretty good product for the money, actually. But you get what you pay for. I'm not sure how strong their Heim joints are, I think I heard something about Action Racing using weak heims on their arms and breaking on people, which is really dangerous, but it's hard to say if it was a real concern. You can't tell that good from the ebay auction, but it looks like they're mig welded which isn't as good as TIG which is what most A-arm manufacturers use. That's probably why they're so cheap. You get what you pay for.

I noticed Action Racing has a lifetime warranty. You can't really go wrong with that. However, they claim to have the best designed A-arms ever. That's really a joke. Walsh, Roll and Hermann make these guys look like yo-yos!

Burgard's A-arms are a simpler, more proven design and their reputation seems to be a lot better, but you can't get them in +3+1. Also, Action Racing don't mention in their ebay auction what their A-arms are made from, so they're probably using regular old cold rolled steel, but you'd have to email them and ask if you want to know for sure. Burgard use 4130 Chromoly, which is the staple of ATV frame and chassis aftermarket.

The highest quality LT250R A-arms I've ever seen are probably Lonestar racing's units. But they cost over $700. You can get them in any size you want, though and they're super-proven. If you're going to spend a lot of money on A-arms and suspension, why not pay a little more and get the best damn A-arms around? If it was me I'd go with the best available. It could even add some value to your quad when you sell it.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of action Racing A-Arms. They are made from 3130 Chromoly. the arms dont look too bad, but they screwed up the lower shock mounting braket. they made it about .5 inch too wide. Not to mention in the auction they were suppose to be +2+1, but were only +2. Anyways, they work, and I saved a couple hundred dollars. The arms are the only thing covered under warranty. The heims aren't

Old 02-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

the auctions now say only +2. how are they with the multiple mounting brackets? do they lower the quad and still allow full stroke of the shock? are they mig or tig welded? and how come the upper arm is alittle weird looking compared to everyone else?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

When I spoke to Mark at HSD about A-arms for my LT, he told me that +1 forward is not a good idea for the LT's. He said it would be too far forward but I did not ask him why this would be a problem. The 85-86's are an inch narrower than the 87+, so I ordered +3 which would be the same overall width on my 86 as +2 on an 87+. I think for mx there is a max width of 50" or so, make sure that +3 arms don't make your quad 'illegally' wide.

Be careful with lifetime warranties from new or unknown companies. What good is the warranty if in a year the company is nowhere to be found? Action racing might make excellent products, but they don't have a website and I've never heard of them or seen an advertisement. I have only seen their products on ebay.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

i'm getting the feeling that i should go with burgard from everyone. i might be in luck also. if the thread pitch on the burgards are 3/4-16 then american racing makes heim joints for them. i went on the z400 forum and i will find out there about it. someone from burgard answers questions there. if i can without a doubt i will go with burgard.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

That's interesting to me that mark said +1 forward was a bad idea on the quadracer. I'd like to know why, seeing as it's not the lightest or most stable in the nose of all racing ATVs ever produced.

But on the other hand, I guess the A-arms are a good bit forward from the factory and the wheelbase isn't too short or anything.

Old 02-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you go with boogers, they will be a-holes and you will wait a very long time for delivery. Not good customer service.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

i've tried a few times to get info from action, but i get no response to my emails, and i have alot of questions. kracker u don't have their number, do u?

Quick Reply: action racing or burgard arms..?which one?