Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

action racing or burgard arms..?which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default action racing or burgard arms..?which one?

i am mxing my lt and have reached the a-arms... i was going to go with burgard +3+1's so they would match with their round housing swingarm, but i became interested in the action racing arms on ebay. they have heim joints and different shock mounts(though i'm not sure what that will do, longer shocks???) anyone have any experience with either of these. i need some reviews and the purpose for the different shock mounts, for the a-arms. i am on a budget hence the two brands. thanks

Old 02-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

i think the adjust able shock mounts are used to alter the ride hight, if thats not the true intention it will sertainly have that effect if you stick with the stock length shocks

Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

is that good or rather worth wild to have?? i am definately just motocrossing it, so i was wondering if i could use shocks with more travel? also doesn't that effect the operation of the shocks since they are being put in a more horizontal postion? also is there any benefit to the +3's from burgard? everyone just goes +2.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

yeah if you mount the shocks nearer the wheel it will definitly alter the ride hight and also alter the angle of the shock and strictly speeking that will afect the shocks performance,

as far as putting longer shocks on its gona be a trade off, on the one hand it will keep your ride hite at its correct hight and give you extra suspension travel but because you have increaed travel but not increased ride hight your risking taking the quad to low and grounding it when the shock is on maximum travel,

in my own case im running some very trick fully adjustable +2 CNC billet a arms and have lowered the ride so the arms sit horizontaly but at the moment ive put a lowering kit on the front so im in the same position regarding grounding ive got far more travel with the stock shocks when realy i need an inch or 2 at the most,

if you look around there are pleanty of manufaturers making long travel a arms that dont affect ride hight, from what i can gather there doing this by producing a curved lower a-arm this has the effect of steepening the angle of the a arm so youve got more travel and the curve will then bring the ride hight back to where it should be,

handling is one of the most over looked aspects of performance and theres many options and factors to take into consideration

Old 02-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

The multiple shock positions on the A arm move the bottom eye of the shocks out farther from the frame and provides a "better" leverage ratio while lowering ride height just slightly. This works on the basic lever principle. The shocks have to work less because they have more leverage on the suspension action.

In theory, the rebound will also slow down a little from doing this.

What year of LT do you have? the 85-86 have a joke of a front suspension with 12.5" front shocks. The 87+ have 15.25. You could also fit some aftermarket TRX250R 16.25 shocks in there for MX to provide a little more travel.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

also woth a mention is that going any wider with the arms is going to increase the leverage they have and as a minimum you will need to increase your spring rate, to do it properly you would need a re valve as well,

Old 02-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 92 lt. i haven't purchased shocks yet. so far the action arms sound great, as long as i get descent shocks. but what about burgard...? they are an inch wider and a inch forward?, but use standard ball joints? is the movement forward and a inch wider worth it? i'm ordering one of them this week..so i would like to make the right purchase the first time.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

also trx250r shocks will mount right to the frame and +2 arms? i really don't want to be rigging stuff and then go racing. i race dirtbikes now, but i want to inexpensively get into some quad classes.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

If you get the inch-forward arms, your ride will be more stable, less prone to fishtail and your front end will feel lighter. on the downside, your turning radius and the tendency to whip the back end out in a turn will decrease. Also, your center of gravity will be lowered.

I think that +forward A-arms on an LT250R is a great idea. That's just my opinion, my A-arms will be at least +1 forward.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

From what I hear you can put Quadzilla or TRX250R/TRX400EX/LTZ400 front shocks on an 87+ quadracer and they are a major improvement.

Try some Quadzilla front shocks and some stiffer springs to compensate for the extended A-arms. That's what I was reccomended to do. It's supposed to be a proven set-up.

Quick Reply: action racing or burgard arms..?which one?