Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Anyone Have a Zilla & LT250r????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Have a Zilla & LT250r????????

ive got a zilla but its becoming a bit specialized for day to day riding, just wondering if 250 would make a fun ride for general riding or will i be disapointed??

if i get one can i use the spares off my zilla to upgrade it??

A-arms, swinger, axle etc,

any feed back would be great, ive toyed with the idea of saving for a new four stroke, but i dont realy want to wait, i just want to something i can jump on and have a blast,

and keep the zilla for special occasions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I don't own both, but a friend of mine owns a 500, and it was like MY quad before I got my 1992 250, I rode his 500 constantly. He bought a Z400 to do what you want to with a LT250r.

You will notce right off the hop the 250 winds up ALOT faster than the 500. Also its lightyears easier to start! But the 500 will stomp me in a drag race. I usually get the holeshot but it doesn't take too long for him to walk right past me and leave me in the dust. The 250 also is alot easier to throw around corners I've noticed so it gets ahead in technical situations. Its a good climber, not as good as the 500, and likes to wheelie a litte more than the 500, likely due to it being a bit shorter. It handles better than most people would have you believe, although it certainly is not perfect. I used to jump it some, but I can't afford good front shocks at the moment and mine are getting pretty pooched, so I keep it on all four wheels for the most part. Its just an all around good quad, jack of all trades, master of none.

As for reliability, I totally rebuilt the engine and transmission, and I havent had a problem with it in 2 years, other than a cracked intake boot. Not even a fouled plug.

As for interchangeability, it depends on the years among other things. Shocks are different completely from his to mine, the rear is a different linkage and the fronts are wider, bearing supported mounts, and longer. The swingarms are likely different due to the linkages being different.
I think 500 A arms are longer too, but I'm pretty sure they'd bolt up if you did a little modifying. We were going to try it before I order any off of ebay. I think the axle may be interchangeble. Many electrical parts interchange, as do steering stems, brake components, switches, seat latch, not sure about the seat, and the rims/hubs/spindles. Tie rod ends and ball joints also work back and forth. Im likely leaving out alot, but at least its a good place to start.

Hope this helps, and I'd be glad to try and answer any other questions I missed, or that you have

Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for a great reply,

from your description it sounds like the 250 is a realy good quad in its own right, and not just the the poor relation of the big bad zilla,

im prety sure ill go that way, im trying to increase my riding opertunities and the way the zilla is set up its just not flexable enough for varied riding,

Old 02-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thats exactly why my friend bought jis Z400. The LT500 is an awesome quad in its own way, it just takes a lot of maintenance to keep it in tip top shape. He bought the z400 so he could just dump gas in and go, no breakdowns, and less upkeep(no quadzilla owner can say there machine is bulletproof). Just my .02.

If you need ot talk 250 more drop me a PM....

Rodney

Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

will do rodney, thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UK, the little 250 is underpowered compared to the big zilla, but after owning 2 of them, I have to say they have got to be one of the funnest all around quads you can get on. The powervalved motor and short gearing makes for a heck of a good rider. I sold my Polaris 2wd to buy this 91 I have now just to have as a woods rider and a backup rider at the dunes. I love the bikes. They are very easy to work on, and just as reliable. If you can latch on to an 88-92, you might be a little better off, but take any if the price is right. I have about $1100 in mine all together now, but that includes new rod, crank bearings, bore job and piston, new silencer, bumper, and many others. Now's the time to buy while everyone is jumping on the "4-stroke bandwagon" and selling out. They'll be sorry a few years down the road when it comes time for a rebuild[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

How hard is it to get aftermarket goodies for the LT250?? I gotta say theres alot of trick parts still being made
for the TRX 250R. If you like your two strokes the trx is a great 250. A bit pricey comp to the LT. Id like to race
an LT just to see, but never see anyon the trail.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

ive decided to put bids on a lt250, thanks for the advise everyone, if i like it , smaller ,less power but great fun ill be more than happy,

thanks guys for your input,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

You won't be dissapointed, UKzilla, trust me. If you like your zilla you'll like its little brother.

By the way, do you buy them from the USA and ship them across the pond? If so look for one in Canada. Your pound will go a long way here!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i shipped the zilla from the mississippi but only because there so rare in the uk,

most people who see it have never even heard of them, thats why i bought a second one while i had the chance,LOL

i would definitly consider doing it again on the right wheeler so thaks for the tip about the canadian$$

ive put a bid in on one in the uk, item no 2457805984,

lmk what you think if you get a chance to look,

Quick Reply: Anyone Have a Zilla & LT250r????????