Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad rear axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad rear axle ?

Hey Guys, I need a little help with my KQ. I broke the inner CV on the rear end (Left side) and my dealer says I have to buy the WHOLE axle ($230.00) to fix it. I looked at Ronnies.com and the Microfiche does not list a Cv joint alone,,Only the whole axle. My machine is a '98. Also, Does that rear axle slide out after I get everything out of the way or is there a clip(or something) I need to remove. I have not done this before and am under the impression that a pry bar and a BFH(hammer) will get the job done. If I am wrong will sombody PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance,, Although this is my first time posting, I have learned alot from some of you and laughed alot at some others! (you know who you are) Thanks again JJ

Old 02-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have done the front cv joints on my 95 king quad and found that you can find used ones for half or less at the salvage yards. As for using a hammer, no, you need a cv joint puller, looks like a horseshoe and fits behind the cup and is attached to a slide hammer attache it and slide the weight back and the cup will pop off and then you can slide the whole assembly out. While you are doing this it is a great time to replace bearings and seals. You can bang on it all day but it will not come loose, there is little clips holding it on inside the axle stub. If you can find it used you will save big bucks. Buy the Clymer Suzuki King quad and quadrunner repair guide, it walks you thru most of this, except I did not see were they say to use the joint puller but that is what the service guys told me to use and it slid right off. I tried to beat on it for along time and got to the point I wanted to beat on the quad to to relieve stress. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks AKboy, I did find a complete rear axle at Used ATV (found them on Ebay and called their 800 #) $130.90 shipped! and that is a whole axle with CV / U-joint and boots. The fella said it was tight with no slop and he would guarantee it to be good or my $ back. Now all I have to do is swap out the whole set-up. I am still curious if you can replace just the CV or not. Hey AK whats the wheather doing right now? A friend just got back from Homer and it was 0' with a little wind. I will be up in Aug for sure(friends wedding) and I may be running a friends boat to Kodiak Island (Old Harbor) this spring after the wheather gets a little smoother. Thanks for the reply JJ

Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah you can just replace the cv, if I remember this right it goes like this. When you remove the straps on the inboard boot and pull it down you will see where the joint slides into the cup, there is a c clip that holds this in the cup, clean the grease out and you will see a groove, slide pointed tool{icepick is what I use} in the groove until you find the end of it and pop it out, the whole thing slides out leaving the cup in place then you do not need puller. pack the beaarings real good and slide it back in cup and reinstall clip and reattche the boot clamps. When I replace torn boots this is what I do rather then pulling the whole thing. 18 degrees and heading for the mid 20's today, it keeps hinting of snow but have not seen any yet. Not sure if this helps you, I am assuming you do not want to pull the cup and just replace everything else. Although it it is very quick and simple to just remove the whole axle, but I would bust the bands on the used axle you are getting and clean out all the old grease and repack it and inspect the boot for tears or cracks.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks AKboy, Yes that does help, Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I am off to get grease and replacement bands today.Thanks again JJ

Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

No problem JJ,
The King Quad is an excellent machine, I had mine for 9 years and had very little diffcuilty with it. The brakes never lasted very long after the original set wore, it must have been something to do with taking the drum off, maybe getting nicked I could never figure how to seal it. The bearing had gone out in the rear after 5 years but that is normal everyone had said and the bearing had gone out on the front left, that was a chore getting that diff out of the frame. I spent an entire weekend cussing it out and then it just came to me and then it slipped right thru the frame. I added some plywood cut out to the racks to make a it flat, got tired of the gas cans getting squeezed thru the rack. I also added a ammo can to the back to carry odds and ends. I bought a winch bumper from Suzuki right after I bought the quad I do not recomend it, it sticks out to far and would dig in goiing down steep embankments and fill the winch full of dirt. I just sold it a couple of months ago when my wife let me buy a new one since she got a new kitchen, I thought that was fair. let me know if you need anything else, I still have an Quadrunner in the shop that I am working on. 25 degrees today feels like spring is in the air but I know it is just a trick.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey JJ,
I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I have a 99 King Quad and I also broke me rear axle this winter. It is the right side. I think it was because it was about -50 celcius outside and my brakes froze up. (my brakes always freeze up in the winter, does anyone else have that problem?) And I was just wondering if it was more expensive to fix because of the brakes on this side.
Thanks Tyler

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks again AKboy! King99,, You are probably right about busting that axle,, And yes that is a common problem with the KQ for those of you in the cold (Never happens here in the NW). If you look at the bottom of the brake drums you will find a drain, Use it after real wet rides. As far as $ for the right side, I have no idea if it more than the left,, I have'nt broke that yet. Look on Ebay (search king quad) and find the guy selling used parts, I belive his screen name is Used ATV, then give him a call at his 800 # and tell him what you need. He found me a complete axle and shipped it for $130.00 USD Good luck and if you need or want any more info search this forum under king quad and you will find all sorts of good stuff. A forum member here has a KQ website with some great mods here it is... http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/kingquad/
Good Luck JJ

Old 02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hey King, If you have brakes that are froze up use the diff locker and low gear and rock it back an forth using reverse and first gear. Be careful though, to much gas and you will twist your driveshaft, done that. It is a very comon problem with the King quad and quadrunner 250 they made though I have never had a rear brake freeze up it was always the front ones. JJ says there is a drain plug so that is a great suggestion, I do not think my 95 had one and if it did I spent enough time working on the brakes that I am supprised that I missed it. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

AKBoy is right on. With my Clymer manual in hand the slide hammer is used to overcome the stopper ring on the output shaft. Not much else locks it together except with everything assembled the shaft has nowhere to go. Clymer also states the main axle with the single u-joint isn't serviceable. The only thing that is is the boot.

Only other thing worth mentioning is to be sure to line up the u joints during reassembly. Both yokes should be lined up exactly so they work together.

Just curious, where did the shaft break? At the end near a weld? Up near the splines?

I can scan a couple pages if you need them.

Rob

BTW, looks like the axles are the same for both sides.

Quick Reply: King Quad rear axle ?