Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Maybe the best except for the brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellows I am a fellow suzuker only in an artic cat body, I love my cat and was thinking on adding a quadmaster 500 to my collection its just that I have heard some bad things about the back drum brake causing trouble and was said by one of the fellow readers was the poorest sealed set up on the market has any of you guys had any trouble with the rear brakes yet??? I was also wondering how good is the EBS hold back coming down hills this the about the only place the artic cat is lacking, I think there could have been added a lower gearing for descending hills one that the transmission would have eased you down without having to even use the braks...also what is the best deal you have found on the 2000 autos I have found a place so far in Oregon I can pick one up for $5750...let me know fellows...thanks...atving

Love my cat but would like a suzuki too

------------------

Old 01-08-2000, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATVing,I cant speak for the Quadmaster,but im the one that lays claim to how poorly sealed the KQs drum brakes are.If the Quadmasters brakes are anything like it--watch out.But like I said,I dont know about the Quadmaster.Good Luck====BILL

------------------

Old 01-08-2000, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, I have buddies that have the brake problem on the KingQuads. I have 00 model, and the brakes on mine have been changed. It is in a sealed unit that is mounted behind the hub... I would imagine that they have updated the quadmasters as well....
I haven't had any problems with my rear brake, and it lives under mud & water.....

Old 01-08-2000, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Atving, I finally see you post something again. You haven't been on here much lately. You have a "collection" of ATVs? That's cool, I wish I would have something like that. I also talked about our old King Quad's front brakes, they were bad just like the front a-arm design, how they mount it to the spindle. But I don't know what the Quadmasters are like.

Old 01-09-2000, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I am still alive rooster this time of the year keeps me busy things are cooling down here a little bit now so I will be able to get on more. Wouldn't say I have a collection but I am getting ready to get another atv for the wife (or she thinks its for her anyway). Another Cat would be alright but its a little big for her...so thought I would look at the new auto from suzuki just don't like those da# disc brakes the cat has spoiled me. Would seriously consider the polaris but I am just still a little weary of their break downs, I must say from what I have seen and rode a few they are a hell of a bike here in the hills of WV. I have found a new suzuki 500 auto quadmaster for $5750 in Oregon waiting on the dealer to let me know how much the shipping will be...I really like everything about the suzuke except the short seat and the drum brakes but I guess you can't have everything. Glad to see you missed me rooster I always enjoy reading your posts and I know the polaris riders miss me hehehe...all in all seems to be a pretty good bunch of guys on here, talk at you later....

Cat,Kow,Pole,Suze,...long as it rolls I love it

------------------

Old 01-09-2000, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

I have a 97 King Quad and i must be one of the lucky ones.I ride the quad in water, mud and havent had any problems with the rear brakes. Just thought i would put in my 2cents.Thanks....Bob

Old 01-11-2000, 03:46 PM
BBC
Weekend Warrior

atving -- I recently done the same thing, bought a Susuki Quadmaster 500 for my wife. I think that it probably is the best (besides the Artic Cat), but you are right the drum brake in the back, short seat, and small gas tank are certanly major drawbacks. Not only will the drum brake eventually leak but does't hold near as good as the front disk brake. However I own a 400 Artic Cat (which I love) and the Cat is little too big and the suspension is much too soft for my wife to feel comfortable on. She is not an experienced rider and the Susuki has no tipsy feel about it like some of the others have. It also has tremendous Engine braking as well. I feel very comfortable with her riding it down a steep incline. She really likes this bike,it is the right size for her and has plenty of torque and riding appeal for her to grow into as she gets more riding time. Also the shocks are adjustable so I can soften up the ride a little after she gets comfortable with it.

By the way I gave 5800 brand new, for hers just last month just outside of Paintsville, KY. That might within driving distance for you and not have to have it shipped. The name of the dealer is Burke,s Cycle in Staffordville, KY. I do not have the number right hand but if you can not get it, post a message and I will find it for you.

Good Luck the Susuki Quadmaster is one fine machine and it has plenty of eye appeal as well.

Cat 400, Susuki 500

Old 01-12-2000, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

King, it's the front brakes that are the problem.

BBC, I don't mean to sound like an English teacher, but Suzuki is spelled with a "Z" and not with 2 "S's". Just take a look on the seat.

Old 01-12-2000, 01:26 PM
BBC
Weekend Warrior

rooster -- My apolologies to the suZuki Gods.

I knew suzuki was supposed to be spelled with a z and not an s,just an oversight, was typing in a hurry, and would not have needed to look at the seat anyway. The correct spelling is all over this forum.

And you did sound like an english TEACHER.

[This message has been edited by BBC (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-12-2000, 10:16 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBC.. I use the rear brake more than the front, and it stops on a dime, so I am surprised that yours does'nt. Maybe it is not adjusted properly or something. Even the reviews in ATV Magazines have raved about how strong and precise the drum brakes work in the new Suzuki Quadmaster/Quadrunner.

Quick Reply: Maybe the best except for the brakes???