Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

First Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Service

Anyone get the first service done by the dealer? What do they do? I bought my bike 2 1/2 hours away so i would not have to pay sales tax. But everytime i call a dealer to get an appointment they ask where i got it. When i tell them they tell me they are very busy right now and to call in a couple weeks? WTF ? are they giving me the cold shoulder because i didn't buy form them? I live in RI and they have 7% sales tax. I drive to NH and they have no sales tax HMMMMMMM who would save the 7%?

Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Range Rover
Default First Service

Aren't you still supposed to pay the sales tax? I know when I did my taxes this year my state asked me how much I bought out of state that I didn't pay tax on, and I was charged for it.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Range Rover
Default First Service

well i haven't done my taxes yet but i will look into that

Old 02-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Service

Sometimes it is just better sense to pay alittle more localy then it is to drive and save. As for them inquiring as where you purchased it should not matter unless you are trying to get some warranty work done on it. I know when I used to use the dealers they always had a wait of week or two. I had to just bite the bullet and drop it off and wait till they got a chance. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Service

One other thing, other then a oil change and check to see if any of the fasteners have come loose or fallen off they do not do much else. All of this you can do and should at least the fastners part, everytime you ride it and get ready to put it away you should give your quad a check over and I do not mean you have to break out the torque wrench but just give it a feel and see if anything is amiss.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Service

Since your into saving money (I'm cheap 2) so much that you bypass the best friend your quad could have (a local dealer/ parts house) you should invest in a service manual. This will tell you everything you need to know about your machine. Some people think that the initial service is the most important thing you can do (me included) but the dealer doesn't have to do it. The book outlines everything.

The most important thing to do is CHANGE THE OIL!!!!!

YES, dealers will discriminate against you! They have to look out for their customers first. But you don't NEED a dealer. You do need a good parts house nearby tho. Sometimes the dealer is your best bet but if you look around you will find a place that will look out for you and prolly give you good deals on parts. Mailorder woeks great but you have to w a i t .

rafiki47, you dont say what you bought. In Indiana I don't pay sales tax for farm use quads.

Check and bookmark some parts fische sites too. VERY helpful.

Now get off the computer and change your oil!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Range Rover
Default First Service

eiger2 THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.

Yes I am kinda Cheap ( but i did save $392) so i guess i would call it smart shopping. I bought a 2004 Z400.I live in RI and i took a ride up to tax free NH. I have only ridden it twice. But i like to get all the inofrmation i can on everything i buy.

Yes i heard that the biggest problem with people is they don't change the oil. That is one of the reasons why i went with new instead of used. How ofter do you change your oil?

Ok got a couple more questions do you know of any parts fische sites?
And as for the service manual i see alot of them on Ebay ( CD Version). Will they have the information i am looking for?

Thanks,
Rafiki

Old 02-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Service

raf just a dumb question what dealer in nh did you buy it from?

Old 02-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Service

The most importantoil change is the 1 @ 100 miles. This should get all the metal out of the machine from breakin. The longer you wait the longer the shavings r in there.
My brother has changed his 14 times in 1100 miles on his 450 Forman. But his was submerged and it took a while for the oil to clear up. I changed mine @ 140 miles and now have 1000 and the oil looks as good as when I put it in. I'm changing it this weekend. The manual recomends 3000 miles or 6 months. The conditions of your riding dictate how long. Try this, Change it every Feb. and every July. Most people don't put enuf miles on em to change more than 1 a year.

PM me for the 2 sites I use for fiche. ( the little lock in the rt corner.)

I got the manual at my dealer. Any Suzuki dealer will get it for you but you can check on line. A CD would be cool but I don't have a computer in my barn or in my truck, or in my camper, etc.

Break er in right and she will always treat you right.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Default First Service

eiger2,
Thanks again for the Info. YZou would think that Suzuki would include the service manual.When i see you online i will sne you a PM.

Thanks!

z838mx,
i got it at cycleworld in NH

Quick Reply: First Service