Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Do I have dirt in my gas...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have dirt in my gas...?

I drained a little bit of my gas out of my Z250 the other day into a empty milk carton just to see what condition it was in. I drained about a 1/2 inch worth and after the gas settled in there I saw what looks like a little air bubble or kinda oil substance that collected what looked like floaters in water after eating crackers or somthing. It would all stay in that little bubbly like thing untill I shook it up a little bit. Is this some kind of contaminent? It was treated with stabil and the milk carton was thoruoghly rinsed with warm water and I dried it as good as possible.

PS not a insanely big deal or nuthing just a little curious if it is normal

Old 02-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

anybody at all?

Old 02-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

You may have water in the fuel,at least thats what it's sound's like to me.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for replying.

anyone else that knows even a little bit please respond?

Old 02-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you've got some water in there to me...or it might of been something to do with the Stabil, but I've never seen it give gas any weird appearance before.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

If it was in the bottom it was water. Not unusual, as condesation can happen in any gas tank. Keep the tank clear full when in storage or not used for a few weeks and this problem will pretty much go away.
With the filler necks they put in tanks these days it cannot go away entirely, because there is always a air space. Drain your tank about 1/2 gallon twice a year, spring and fall, and drain your carb bowl at the same time, and you will see less of it. You might consider a gas dryer every fall also.

Could also be oil leftover from the lube they use on the sheet metal in the stamping process. But that
don't speak very well of Zukis quality control I am afraid.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

yea thanks.speaking of suzukis quality control my cousins Z250 was bought at the same time mine was as a package and hers at first would not even run, at all, start it up backfire , stumbled all over itself. It would even sit there and lurch as in like move a few inches forward then die. I even saw a couple flames fly out of the exhaust when it backfired when my stepdad was trying to ride a wheelie on it! Jeeze, but we took it back and they said it was bad gas. Never had that problem again.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

If you ever noticed-the gas from the pumps will at times have stuff in it. I have checked. Take a clean gas can, i use the yellow diesel cans so they let a lot of light in. Fill it at the pump. Usually you will see stuff floating or just at the bottom of the tank. I have tried this at a bunch of different stations. Same results everytime. So i say its important to not empty the can all the way down when filling your atv. And also use a funnel with a close nit screen when filling. As far as the water goes-use some drygas. I like to add a little mystery oil and a touch of drygas to my gas everytime i fill the can. If you fill the atv from the pump-at least use the filter funnel. Hope that helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, earl is right. Ever notice the junk in the bottom of a float bowl of an older quad? No gas screens.
Clean your screens eveytime you get a chance, too.