Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki planning to unleash aluminum frame in Z450??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki planning to unleash aluminum frame in Z450??

Now, if I had to bet money, I'd say that Suzuki will use a regular tensile steel frame on the new z450, but I read on a forum from England that through the usual "insider connections" (lol) they found out that the new Z450 will have an all aluminum frame and no reverse. First I thought they were talking about the RMZ450, but they said NO REVERSE. Now, as I said i heavily doubt it... But just imagine how cool would that be? I could see Suzuki maybe building the AL frame since they've learned a lot about aluminum from their GSXR race bikes and they are very serious about quad racing, but they have a hard enough time keeping a steel frame from not cracking (ie: z400) let alone an aluminum one!!

still, it'll be a sweet bike and I can't wait to get mine, but it would be an even sweeter bike if she had an AL frame. oooooooh... *DROOL*

Old 02-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

If Suzuki choose to just update the Z400 to make it a 450, I think they'll fix up the suspension and chassis as well.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

That would suck... everything a guy wants except no reverse. Guess I'll hold onto my z400! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

from what i heard through a few fourms its going to have reverse and electric start, weigh around 350 and be comparable to the YFZ. and there trying to push it out the door for a july release

if it dose have reverse, i will be first in line to get it. but if not im gonna stick to my 400, if its just a Z400 with 50 more cc's then forget that. im still sticken with my 400. it better be a YFZ (comparable) with reverse

Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Range Rover

A Z400 with a 450 kit and updated carb is comparable to the YFZ, 450R... so I agree, if it's just a big bore 400 with FCR carb, I also will stick with my Z400.. I haven't gone big bore yet... not worth it.. fast enough with other mods! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Doug Gust was saying that it won't be out until sometime in 2005 as an early release. The 2005 Z400 will be somewhat different tho so that it will be more comparable to the 450's. I heard it will have a higher rev limiter and a few other minor mods. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but if the Z450 has reverse, I'll be getting one as soon as I get my truck payments taken care of ($700 a month, they better be taken care of soon).

Old 02-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Justin after talking to nugent today on the forum it wouldnt suprise me in the least if he turned out to be right,

I do think suzuki need to do something special if there planning to let a 450 fit in there line up with the 400, having just electric start and reverse wont be enough especialy when the 400 is still quite a new quad on the market,

ive said it before and ill say it again the future is light weight space age components, nobody is ever gona build a single cylinder 4 stroke that can significantly out perform any other manufacturers or the legacy of the 2 stroke,

the only way they can offset the lack of power is to get the weight right down and increase the power to weight ratio, your not even gona get anything magical from the aftermarket, the 4 stroke engine just doesnt have the same scope as the 2 stroke has always had,

I just hope this rumour is true i would love it for suzuki to be the ones to push things forward,

I dont know much about dirt bikes or road bikes but im sure not so long ago the use of light weight materials was laughed at and considered rediculous,

Old 02-18-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

UK Zilla, I totally agree with you. Over the years, dirtbikes have lost a ton of weight but quads have only gained weight. The 85-86 LT250Rs were under 300 pounds stock with a full steel frame and rocker arm suspension. The TRX250Rs were only 330 pounds, with a square steel frame and everything. Racing quads today weigh way too much, those 4 jokers sure make good ballast! It's time for more aluminum magnesium and titanium!!

If the Z450 comes with reverse, I'm taking mine off. I surely hope that Suzuki doesn't make me have to do that! I don't mind one bit having to get off my quad, lift the back end up and drag it a little, although usually I can just crank the wheels and 360 instead. I'd rather have to do that then have all the stupid components, added weight and crap that reverse puts on a machine. If you want a trail machine, the Z400 and Raptor already exist as well as many nice cushy seated utility models! But what I'm spending my money on is lower, leaner, less comfortable, quicker and better suspended and handling machine. If Suzuki doesn't deliver... god forbid I might actually jump ship to Yamaha or possibly Honda.

Electric start could be nice, though! Still, kickstart's great for me. I hate the idea of having a battery strapped under my ***.

Still, I'm praying for an aluminum frame. oh god, please!!! AND NO REVERSE!!!

Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't kick started a new four stroke, but the old 350X ATC's were no joke to start especially with the honda forward kick. When it kicked back and got you in the shin....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img].

I don't think the same quad will have both an aluminum frame and reverse. And the history of Suzuki's first year frames might make me wait a year.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

From what I hear these decompression releases and hot start buttons really help out a lot. But still, I'm remembering Sebastian Roy at the Montreal Valvoline supercross DNFing on his CRF450 a couple times because the damn thing didn't want to start...