Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

year 2000 LT500R Quadzilla

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 12:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone remember back in 1987, what kind of hype did the quadzilla produce? Before anyone knew about any reliability problems, or had no idea what kind of power it had. How did the magazines react? I just bring this up because of all the hype about this DS650. There must of been a huge shootout and debates for the quadzilla. Anyone remember how it went down? I think it would be great if suzuki re-released the quadzilla with a redesigned trouble free 500cc engine (maybe twin cylinder ) and an updated chasis. I think it would just plain rule the world. What do you think?

The following users liked this post:
RSA (03-17-2024)
Old 01-21-2000, 01:40 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dominator...
Would'nt that be the the ultimate entry level Quad that Suzuki could produce into the Sport category ??
I would think, from what you've told me about yours, that a twin 500cc 2 stroke would kick Bombardier's hairy yellow @$$.
When I was a kid, my brother bought a rare Suzuki 750cc twin, 2 stroke street bike. I'm not sure, but I think it was a 1975, I remember riding it, and it pulled so hard, it scared the living s--t out of me.
I think that Suzuki has certainly explored the big bore 2 stroke market, and would probably be the best to jump in.

[This message has been edited by r34 (edited 01-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by r34 (edited 01-20-2000).]

RSA (03-17-2024)
Old 01-21-2000, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

I still would like to know what kind of "hype" the LT had back in 87. Any old time atvers out there remember? I was only 10 at the time, so I dont remember.

RSA (03-17-2024)
Old 01-24-2000, 09:23 PM
ktk
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember all that much hype but you have to consider how much smaller the sport of ATVing was back then. I was only 14, but I had every issue of Dirtwheels and 3&4 Wheel Action and they did talk it up. I think most of the hype is coming on the heels of the end of the Consent Decree where the manufacturers basically quit selling high performance ATVs back in the very early 90's. Now that the manufacturers are getting back into the market, not to mention all of the newcomers besides the big four Japanese, it's really hard not to act like a little kid just before he opens his presents at Christmas.

To your answer, was there as much hype then over the intro of Quadzilla as there is now over Bombardiers' DS? No, I don't think so.

Old 01-25-2000, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

Wouldnt it be great if suzuki finished what they started and came out with a kick butt big bore 2 stroke to end all others? Now that GM has bought out suzuki GM will get into the sport with that huge bone breaking, face smashing, eye wattering, completely insane horsepower we all cant get enough of!

Old 01-25-2000, 01:31 AM
Range Rover

I remember '87 well. It was my first year out of high school, and my first year of working full time. I wanted a 250R, But then all of a sudden you could go down to your local Suzuki dealer, and buy a 500cc machine! But, they didn't receive such hot reviews, even back then. They were unreliable, hard to start, and never did run quite right. There was a shop down the street from where I lived that hoppped any kind of motorcycle you could drag in there, and they always had two or three Quadzilla's sitting out front every monday getting some kind of repair done to them. I can'
t remember any magazine shoot-outs, but from my experience with that shop, they weren't a very good buy, even new.

Old 01-25-2000, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

Just read an article about a Quadzilla with the mentioned 750 2 stroke engine in it. Here is the link - http://www.off-road.com/atv/MonsterZilla.htm

Glenn.

Old 01-25-2000, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

I agree with the maintenance. All these needle bearings in every moving part, and ungreasable wheel bearings. If only suzuki would of taken the time to install grease zerts everywhere. I heard about the hard starting 87, I own one. Thats why they lowered the compression for 88. I'll take hard starting for more power anyday, its a workout to kick over a high compression 500cc engine. I think they are however a good deal to buy now. There are 2 types for sale now, completely decked out racers with all the factory bugs worked out of them, or dirt cheap basket cases... I think there the #1 quad for sand draggin' motor swaps. There are some really really nice LT500's out there, and I see more of them every day. I love how everyone is scared of buying the 87's, thats how I got mine for $900 in compretely stock perfect running condition. What other quad could I possibly buy that would be better for 900? I vote the LT500 the cheapest, fastest, used 4 wheeler for sale today...as well as some of the trickest used 4 wheelers to buy today.

[This message has been edited by Dominator (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-26-2000, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Dominator, I couldn't said it better myself!!!!

Old 09-13-2000, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hey just curious what was wrong with the 87s and what was so much better about the later models????

Quick Reply: year 2000 LT500R Quadzilla