Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Bought a zilla today

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a zilla today

well tonite i finished this zilla up an got it an went out for my first with one of buddies he's got a 92 warrior all i have to say WOW this thing flies man mind u i never got on it too hard its fresh engine yet but this thing is great i like it the handling is awsome i just came off of a 1985 honda 200X 3 wheeler lol its handles great NOT all i have left to do is get a bit smaller jet i have a 490 main in there seems to bog a bit if i just put around too long my plug don't look too too bad thou little dark i have yamahlube mixed 32:1 seemed to be ok no traction thou must get new tires i think the ones on it are the original ones they look like them from pics i've seen anyways thinkin on a set of dirt devils any suggestions would be appreciated i mostly drive trails little bit of mud theres absolutly no sand around so i think that would be a good tire for me well thought i'd tell ya's that i got it out an took her for a spin an its a good go

Jay

Old 03-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Chilli, help us out with some periods every now and then.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Listen to duneaddict and go to the site and use it.On the head stud subject,Vito performance,when he did engine work fixed my problem by milling the head and reshaping the dome and making sure the jug was truly flat where they meet and seal.My 87 Zilla still has the small stud's in it and I have'nt had any head problem's even when using the NOS.Do not over torque them, they strip out easy,oh and spend the money and get a manual it give all the torque spec's you'll need for the whole quad.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Range Rover

i also have the old style fmf pipe which is a mid-top end pipe.the new ones are same as stock except its not bolted to the engine. to make my LT500 legal, i had to put my stock rusty boat anker of a pipe back on. it's not that bad though,just feel's like a 4-stroker but it's real quiet for calif' state parks. the only place's that check for the db's where i live.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

you want to sell your old style fmf pipe to me?

Old 03-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

i'll sale when i can get more than what i paid for it, like all my old & older dirt bike's that people had to have. i tend to keep thing's along time. when i bought the pipe in 90' it sold for $149.95 w/o sil'.i have the power core silencer that go's with it. real snappy power for holeshot's. the pipe doesn't work as well with my fmf turbine sparky though? it make's the bottom end blubber a little. changing the jets never really helped. never fouled plugs?? i would buy a paul turner/duncan pipe today,better fit & finish than fmf will ever have & look's alot like a old fmf LT500 pipe.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

If this is your 1st Zilla, keep the FMF. You'll have all the power you'll want for quite awhile. After you get bored (yeah, right!!) then get a PT w/ the Fat Boy.....I wouldn't have it any other way. I run a Cool Head, but if you keep your head studs torqued, you should be fine......

Old 03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

I had to drill my head studs to a larger opening anyways some moron put heely coils in there i have no idea thats ok but i didn't like it. So i drilled them out to 7/16 thats far i know but thats what it took to get to good metal again an it works fine now. Just this bike is really really hard to start, don't even try seems if i shoot some fuel/mix in the throat of the carb starts fine but what a pain in the a$$ that is. I haven't gotten my new jets in yet there still on order. Anyone else have a hard time starting that motor just when its cold it seems is the worst or if i stop for a smoke say an get talking with my buddies. An try to start it up after 15mins of sitting its really hard, bust my foot kicking it lol. Today i had it out again for a tear me an the boy went hes got a LT 80 we were having a hoot till my chain kept falling off, front sprocket looking kinda tough we'll i'll keep ya's posted with my progress in the near future oh an yes this is my first zilla i'll keep the pipe for a bit got more important parts to buy first then i'll consider a new pipe but thx for the info i'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

Jay

1987 LT500
2004 LT80
1993 RF600
1976 KZ900
an for a laugh a 1977 honda Z-50 lol its a hoot thou!

Old 03-08-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you definately need to get your new jets, and probably a good carb cleansing wouldn't hurt. Mine never takes more than 4 or 5 good kicks to start, even after its been sitting for a few weeks. And only 1 when its warm.......well good luck!!

Oh yeah, I run 21" Mudsharks on the rear, and they hook up great in sand, mud, hardpack, grass, you name it!! They corner good, and throw nice Roosters.....have a better-looking wheel/fender gap than a 22", and a tad more clearance than a 20".....

Old 03-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

chilli, get a stock pipe off of ebay there real strong & quiet, if you ride with kid's or slow poker's i.e. dad or wife. if you just putt around alot the stock work's great. i know people who buy CR500 or XR650 to just putt around on. doesn't sound right? but it can be done. i alway's wonder what those people are thinking! the FMF pipe make's it feel like a 2-stroker should feel, responsive & real fast. not good for the people behind you though.

Quick Reply: Bought a zilla today