Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Starting Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Fluid

Maybe, and maybe if a frog had wings...................................

Old 03-17-2004, 02:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Starting Fluid

The only proper use for either: Small tire, wide rim. Poof, end of problem!!!!! I can even get proper air pressure!!! P.S. SNAP is bogus.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

Read your can of Starting Fluid. Does it say "upper cylinder lubricant"? If it does, they've added SOMETHING to help with the cylinder scoring problem. My can of Pyroil says it has an additive. I grew up in AK, and we used it on our snowmachines (A-Cat and Yamadog) all the time when it was too cold. Never really had a problem.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

i used laqure thinner on the 230 when i bought it.

No comment please.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Starting Fluid

NOT TO RAIN ON ANYONES PARADE OR BUST ANYONES B@LLS BUT IF YOUR RIDES NEED STARTER FLUID IN ANY SITUATION HOT COLD OR OTHERWISE YOU HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!
I AGREE WITH Doctorturbo STARTED FLUID IS USED FOR BEAD SEATING PURPOSES ONLY!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

Stay away from the starting fluid. A machine will come accustom to using it,kind of like how a rechargable battery can build a memory of improper charging and be useless. Using a choke on a bike unecessarily can do the same thing, the bike becomes dependent on it and wont start without it in any weather or temp. The dry cylinder wall is a good statement by the others. Also i have seen people spray too much fluid and cause a vapor lock , then they couldnt turn the engine over for shi%$ cause there was too much pressure in the cylinder. And that pressure can cause serious problems. You here guys say they havnt had probs with it but do you want to be the one who has a bent valve cause the exhaust valve was under high pressure? Ive seen it happen. in quads bikes and autos. BAD DEAL. Hope you figure out the prob and get it fixed. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Starting Fluid

Now this is getting good!!!!!!
zex129 can you explain to me how someone can bend an exhaust valve by using ether?
Enquiring minds want too know.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

Originally posted by: Slinger
Maybe we could get Fasternu to bottle up a little something after he has some Chinese food. That could be TOO explosive though.

I actually have T-shirt that says "DANGER: Explosive Gas in Rear" compliment of my in-laws.

Put a little gas in a spray bottle and see if that helps the starting issue....

Old 03-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

I gotta say the posts stating that no one should constantly rely on starter fluid is plain common sense. I've used it in a pinch, but I'd never get in the habit. Getting to the root of the problem is a must or as I say to my kid's friends who don't maintain their chit....."Don't be a wannabe, If you can't fix and maintain it, you shouldn't be riding." If I had a nickle for every dirt bike/quad I've had to fix when we take my kid's friends riding I'd be a rich man. I'm amazed at how many parents buy their kids a ride and never teach them a thing about maintanence, just ride it till it dies, LOL.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Starting Fluid

I'd also be curious to hear exactly how an engine "get's used to" starting fluid?? Is the use of it changing the carb somehow? Or changing the configuration of the head? Maybe it's changing the fuel lines.
A machine doesn't care how it's treated. It doesn't have feelings. It doesn't retaliate for mistreatment. It doesn't "get used to" anything. Sounds like the RIDER is getting used to USING starting fluid, and isn't using the choke anymore. Not the machine's fault.

AND FURTHERMORE... HOW THE HELL COULD AN EXHAUST VALVE GET BENT??? Do you think that any amount of starting fluid could possibly create more pressure than is encountered in normal combustion in a hot engine? Nope. What about those guys using NOS in their cars? Wouldn't they ALL have bent exhaust valves?? Because, in case you didn't know, NOS increases the efficiency of the combustion of the fuel, more pressure, more power. Hmmm... very interesting.

Ok, I'm done.

: )

Quick Reply: Starting Fluid