Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger (or Vinson!) in the Sand - best tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger (or Vinson!) in the Sand - best tire pressure

Anyone taken their Eiger/Vinson to the sand? Did you air down? I know I air my truck (Toyota 4x4) down to about 10-12psi. Can I take my stock Dunlops down to 1 or 2 psi? I know that to NOT air down at the Dunes is like not taking your space suit on the space shuttle.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Those 2ply stock dunflops have weak sidewalls. Thats what gives them their "cushy" ride. Break down and get some better tires or get a set for the sand only.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've been on the dunes at Little Sahara, OK with mine. No problem getting around, but the 4x4 really helps climb some steeper hills. You'll also find that the rolling resistance of the sand really loads up the Vinson. It kind of feels like the gear ratios are bad for sand because the High range tends to bog and the Low range raps out to quickly. Note that mine is the automatic and you do lose some power in the CVT tranny. It's not like riding a Banshee on the sand, but you'll get around fine. Just be careful not to burn up your belt by going too slow with all of that rolling resistance.

As for air pressure, 2-3 pounds is all you'll want. I don't think going less will help you at all, as traction is not a problem. Don't bother buying paddle tires. They look goofy on the Vinson (take my word for it) and it is too heavy to make a difference, especially since you have four wheel drive to get out of any trouble areas.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Right on, thanks. Mine's a Manual Trans, so I have one less thing to worry about. I'll do some experiments on Eiger air pressures at the Dunes next time I go. I'll bring my ether and a tire pump!
Stand by for my report...

Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

i think i would fare pretty good at the sand, planing to try to go down there, some place in NJ i heard??

with the super deep lugs of the 589's plus the power i got, and the ground clearance, i should be able to tool around in 2wd all day.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

I kept my tires pressures stock in soft stuff, seemed to make it up everything I tried to tackle. had to hit 4wd for the steep hills. Once these tires wear out , I will go with some mud tires which seem to work well in soft sand also.