Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Goin to look at a used lt250r, and advice on what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goin to look at a used lt250r, and advice on what to look out for?

LT's were notorious for having weak frames. So aside from looking for cracks, stand that thing on its grabbar and take a good look at it. See if they'll take the plastic off for you. You might even want to take a tape measure. All this to make sure the frame is still straight and not bent. The older bikes did not have detachable subframes, and this is a susceptible area to bending.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Raptor149 .....NONE of the Suzuki LTs had detatchable subframes.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canadianrider, most of what everyone is telling you here is true. Be sure to check the frame by the front shock mounts, the footpegs, and near the rear shock linkage. Those areas are where I have had stress cracks in the past. Some other things to look for on the LT are the ball joints. The stockers don't hold up very well to serious abuse. Also, check to see if the engine runs/idles OK and try to get a feel of the compression when you kick it. Another thing to look for is to check if the powervalve is operating when it's running. You'll have to rev it up a little while looking through the sight glass on the clutch side of the motor. If it's operating properly, you will see it activate when the RPM's are high. Another thing to check is the stock swingarm....they are notorious for cracking, and or allowing the rear bearing carrier to slip. Look for cracks on the swingarm in the middle where the welds are.
You may also want to check to see if any antifreeze is leaking from the water pump housing, and also check to see if the shifter seal is leaking.
Keep in mind that most of those problems are easily fixed also, with the exception of the swingarm and/or having to weld the frame.
The LT's are really nice quads once the little bugs are worked out. I wish you luck!

Old 04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

does the 1987 LT500R(H) have the same problem with the frame?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All year models have frame stress problems - the '85 and '86 were the weakest though. I had to gusset up my '86 big time. The '92 I have now is also showing stress cracks in the front of the frame near the shock mounts, and the footpegs will crack also. I'm not sure if the '87's were gusseted up like the '91 & '92 models, but I'm thinking they were. The later models were beefed up a little more from the factory. Maybe one of the other guys with the same model can answer that one for you.
It's really no big deal if you can weld or know a welder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You probably won't have problems with it unless you ride aggressively.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

LT250R'Superstar'

I owned several LT250R's, and had experience gussetting all the frames. I am aware of the fact that NONE of them had subframes. I was referring to older bikes in general. ATC250R's did not have detachable subframes. Had you taken the time to think about my response, you might have come to make this observation.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I would take it out on the stree and make sure all the gears work good enough. Look for cracks in the frame, motor/ect. Look at the tires, the rear axle, and the most important, look at the chain to see if it gots a lot of miles. That is pretty much all you should look for before you buy it.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor149, sorry.... I didn't mean ta pounce on ya like that. I thought you meant "older" like as in the 85-86 quadracers didn't have detatchable subframes (which is true) and that the 87+ did.

later
Superstar

Old 04-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and think its great. I currently have an 88 LT 250R and its my 3rd LT. My first was an 86. The Frame bent when riding a wheelie and hit a tree. The second was a 92, The 91 & 92s are different than the rest, The frames are gusseted on all the known weak spots and the rear suspension setup puts the linkage on the swingarm rather than under the seat. Never had any frame issues with the 92. Actually I still have the frame, My garage burned and my LT was in it. My current LT is an 88 and I love it but here are some problems I would look out for. Steering stem- The lower steering stem mount, if the lower bushing is bad for a long period of time it will gring the stem out of round. Swing arm Bolt- I think 9 out of 10 are bent, due to running with bad pivot bearings. Chain adjusters- There should be two of them, make sure there not broke, I have seen people double nut them from the inside to hold them in place to sell the quad. I would remove the nuts and plate before buying. Rear linkage bearings- Pick up on the grab bar, if you feel play in the linkage after the shock comes up all the way but before the wheels come off the ground then it may need some attention$$$. As far as the frames being weak I don't agree, Take any bike or quad and beat it in the woods for about 15 years and its going to fail. I have welded just as many hondas as Suzukis and Yamahas.

My 88 LT is currently undergoing a powder coat makover. I'll have pics next week.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Superstar

It's all good. I just had to defend my knowledge, that's all.

Quick Reply: Goin to look at a used lt250r, and advice on what to look out for?