Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2004 Eiger, my fan turns on and off alot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:57 PM
E
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Eiger, my fan turns on and off alot!

I went for my first real ride today on my '04 Eiger. I was moving pretty slow most of the time and my fan was cycling on and off alot.
When I was ready to put it away in the shed I turned the engine off, but left key in the on position. The fan would come on for around 10 seconds then shut off for around 15 seconds. It continued to do this for about 10 minutes and didn't stop cycling until I shut the key off. Is this normal? Sounds like I have the knock in the cluch area also any fix for that yet? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

How many miles do you have on this thing? A knocking in the clutch could be loose bolts if its an auto. Eigerbeaver has his in the shop right now for that very thing. But you can check it if you want. If its new take it to the dealer but be prepared to be without it for a while, this is very busy time for them.

Slow speed riding doesnt allow the air to cool the motor, this is common. Its oil cooled but really mostly air cooled. Next time try taking her out and blasting around at a good pace and see what happens.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 PM
E
Trailblazer

I have 17 miles on it. I read eigerbeaver's post about the knocking. I wish I knew what the problem is I would like to fix it myself. I called the dealer today and ask him about it and he said they only sell about 40 Suzuki's a year and about 400 Polaris'. He said they don't work on Suzuki's much and would have to look in the book when I took it in. I don't think so.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

fan cycling on/off repeatedly after engine is turned off?? that's wierd. Mine will cycle maybe once when I've been putting around in the woods and I turn off the engine. Otherwise, unless I idle for an extended period, it never comes on.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

My fan hardly ever comes on. Make sure yer radiator is clear. Check yer oil level. Zuki recommends running for 3 minutes before checking so the oil is well circulated.

Get a service manual. Some clutch noise is normal. I s it the same as it was when ya got it? Ask the dealer to run an in stock model and see how it sounds.

Wow! 17 miles. It should be as smooth as silk.

My manual is down in the barn but I'll get down there tomorrow (thurs) and look at it. Is yours an auto?

Old 04-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

Don't worry about the fan. When I first got my '03 Eiger the same thing was happening and then as the miles wore on the fan came on less and less, now it only comes on when the 4WD is on or really slow technical terrain. So don't worry about it. My Eiger now has 2800km and its running great.
Josh

Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

2800 Kanadian Miles?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have 1110.3 real miles right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

E, have you had any luck, yet. We still have't heard from eigerbeaver.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I was at the Oregon Dunes this weekend, and I was in 4x4 about half the time, it was about 75 degrees, and I was WOT quite a bit climbing dunes and such. My fan came on a lot. I'd say it was on at least 15-25% of the time. I was running it REALLY hard, though. Hill climbs, whoops, flat-out across plateaus... etc. Every time I'd slow down, my fan would come on. I'd say, don't worry about it.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine goes on/off only when riding very slow on tight trails or when I'm plowing the driveway. Otherwise, I haven't noticed that it goes on that much.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

Hey all, first on the fan. It is normal, especially with warmer weather or at slow speeds. A higher viscosity will run cooler but can slow motor down. I got Eiger back from Zuki dealer for knock, no parts needed, nothing loose. they lubed everything up ,put it back together and said Eiger will have a little knocking sound at idle after break-in. So I will take their word on it. It does sound a little better and performance is still outstanding.

Quick Reply: 2004 Eiger, my fan turns on and off alot!